PDA

View Full Version : Topo Maps

k.hanley
05-11-2014, 01:11 PM
I noticed some of the board members talking about using a topo map for discovering FF adventures.

Here's the link to a little video I had made about topo tips.

http://medialibrary.pacificextremes.com/pacific-extremes-freshwater.php?vid=4

Give it a few moments to load. Enjoy!
Cheers, Ken

Jimmie
05-11-2014, 09:03 PM
I LOVE maps!! Great video! Thanks, Ken

Bill Kiene semi-retired
05-12-2014, 07:24 AM
I learned a lot Ken.....thanks.

Back in the old sporting goods days we sold lots of topo maps along with back packing equipment.

Buy them online:

http://www.mytopo.com/index.cfm

REI should have a good selection of topo maps.

Ed Wahl
05-12-2014, 07:45 AM
We used to use the Delorme Map book to find an interesting area then head over to Ogden Survey on Elvas Ave. to get the topo maps to see the detail. 15 minute maps are great, for a smaller area and much more detail the 7.5 minutes are nice.
Ogden closed down years ago.
I've had the "Topo" program on the computer for years and love it. It has a search feature so you can run down rumors a lot more efficiently. Those rumors have gotten me into a lot of fishing spots over the years.

Ed

TaylerW
05-12-2014, 08:42 AM
Don't trust roads that look good on maps. Got myself stuck way out yesterday. High centered! Whoops time to grab the jack and start lifting!

bigfly
05-12-2014, 10:49 AM
Taylor, not like the virtual world eh????
My advise is drive faster........
High centering is.......so close, but soooooooo far.
I guess this is why many folks drive together off-road.
Of course, then they would know the secret spot too!
I once got stuck way out, used my jack....
Got it about ready to roll, but still had to get the jack out from under the frame.
I kicked the jack out to save time.
Truck came down on my foot, nearly crushed it, remember it well..............
Stuck, and crippled far from help, isn't good.

Jim

TaylerW
05-12-2014, 11:12 PM
yea it destroyed my bunning bar brackets and mount points. dang long wheelbase did it. investing in a high lift with the hopes i never had to use it. had to lift the back two tires about a foot using my wimpy tire jack. lifted it up and set rocks under the tires, re set and did it again. less than 3 hours, covered in bites and p-oak. i figure if i keep my oak all summer ill get used to it? right? ive had the oak for almost a solid month now

DAVID95670
05-13-2014, 08:15 AM
dang long wheelbase did it.

good work. you can buy air bags that use on board air or an air tank. air bags fold and store easily.

maybe get a winch as well if you are wheeling alone. Without a spotter it is really important to place your tires on rocks to lift while driving over sketchy sections

if all else fails i like jim's advice gun it fix it later lol

of course if you want to lift your truck come on by I install lifts ... Big Trucks are fun... not so much fun buying the big tires I just installed new dogs on my truck

:-)

So where is it you are fishing these days? :-)

TaylerW
05-13-2014, 08:31 AM
What would a 3" suspension lift run? I'm only fishing on the forks of the American. All over the place really, there's a ton of water

Ralph
05-14-2014, 10:03 AM
I LOVE maps!! Great video! Thanks, Ken
Jimmie I was thinking about you the other day. Was given a list of section coordinates I wanted to reference to a National Geographic quad that used UTM but didn't identify TR&S. Had to translate through a USFS map. You know the drill. Will we ever get it together and use a common grid system?