PDA

View Full Version : Your Opinion on Drift Boats (because the internet doesn't have enough opinions)

Dragking
05-07-2014, 09:09 AM
I'm getting closer to pulling the trigger on a drift boat, and I am between Clack's WF and Eddy. (I might consider the RO analog to those models, but, for purposes of keeping this thread focused, let's assume I'm getting a Clack.)

As far as experience, I have never owned a drift boat, but I have a 12 ft, two man pontoon boat with a fishing frame that I have been rowing for a couple years now. I have had it out (without incident) on the American, Feather, Yuba, Lower Sac, Trinity and SF Eel Rivers. Assume that I would be based out of Redding, primarily fishing the aforementioned rivers (especially the Lower Sac and Trinity) and branching out to other rivers to the North (both in California and Southern Oregon).

I understand the fundamental difference between the two boats (namely, performance in the wind/rowing performance vs. added safety). However, I've heard different opinions about the practical differences between these boats. For example, one guide I trust (who rows an Eddy) talked about the Eddy's great performance in the wind, but cited the added safety of the higher-sided WF. Another guide I trust (who rows a WF) talked about the advantages of an Eddy in the wind and insisted that if you put yourself in a situation where water in coming over the side of an Eddy, water also would likely be coming over the edge of a WF in that situation. Obviously, I intend to ease my way in and get experience on mellow stretches first, but I'm interested to hear your thoughts.

Thanks in advance!

SeanO
05-07-2014, 09:40 AM
I've only been in aluminum drifters before, and I've never been concerned with wind. If you're floating rivers wind shouldn't be a huge factor if at all. If you are out on a lake or bay it might be something to consider though?

I have a 17' Willie in Davis you are welcome to check out if you'd like.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
05-07-2014, 10:41 AM
It seemed like the low sided fiberglass Hide was the big deal for trout fishing on milder rivers.

Now the Clackacraft seems to be pretty popular.

Seems like high sided aluminum boats are popular for wild water with big rocks.

Low sides are nice for afternoon upstream wind and for old anglers/customers to get in and out more easily.

dude02
05-07-2014, 02:20 PM
I have an older WF but the dimensions have not changed on this model. Have seen but not fished the Eddy. The back stand of the Eddy is easier to maneuver around than the stand in the WF. If you have a motor or switch out fishing/rowing with the rear passenger, this is a positive for the Eddy. Both have generally similar overall dimensions, the WF is a bit wider on the bottom (1 inch) and has a greater beam. Side height is 4 inches of difference. The WF would keep you a bit drier in heavy water, but the Lower Sac really only has a couple of places were that could come into play, and most of the time water splashes from/over the bow though it can splash the sides occasionally. 99% of the time the water is pretty tame as far as that goes. The Trinity is kind of the same in most runs.

The Eddy has the rod holders that appear to have larger tubes for multiple rods. I can't tell if this has been added to the WF yet, but I like the extra room to keep rods from getting tangled. Both have similar interior layouts (except the rear stands and rod storage) and bulk storage is about the same. The Eddy would be better in the wind, but any substantial wind sucks regardless. The Eddy appears to have four oarlock positions, while the WF appears to still have three. Maybe a bit of an advantage to the Eddy.

I bought used, but I might lean towards the Eddy for the Lower Sac and the Trinity but would honestly be happy with either. A guide I know likes the LP which has the same side height as the Eddy due to wind and they are easier to get in and out of.

If you are getting it new, upgrade the oars right off the bat. Get Sawyer MXSG's or Square Tops with Dynalite blades and be done with it.

dude02
05-07-2014, 02:35 PM
Just saw that you can add the Mega Box option on the Eddy. It is still a walk around front seat (though a bit tight), but gives the option of a 2nd front seat. This would add more storage even if you didn't want the 2nd front seat. I occasionally would like to have four people in the boat for a pleasure cruise or to take my two nephews out with their dad at the same time, but can't with the WF interior. Just something else to consider.

Dave E.
05-07-2014, 04:25 PM
Hello DK,

It sounds a little like you already have a single boat in mind and just need some reassuring that you're making what will be for you, the right choice. You will and a year from now, you’ll know you did.

More for the sake of conversation than anything else, if you check out the stats on these two boats ( below ), you'll see they are dimensionally about as close to each other as any two boats. ( These were the published specs when I was buying, I don't know if modifications to either has taken place since then. )
I think it's great getting feedback from guides. I did as well, also from the boat builders and the other drift boat owners in the family and from friends. But in the end I had to come to the realization that I'm not a guide, don't plan on being one and therefore am not going to be as talented on the sticks as someone who does it with great frequency and who typically carries loads far in excess of mine.

What I needed was a boat aimed more at my needs as a recreational angler, who travels to many different rivers, beyond those of the Sac Valley. For us, the Weight Forward and the Contender were the only ones left at the final cut. So obviously, given the two boats you're considering, if it was me, the WF would be it. But we love our Contender. ;^)

We have no need for seating for four. The walk around ( all box pedestal seating ) floor with no ducking under or climbing over casting braces was a top priority. Frankly not being a commercial boat, we don't use much in the way of storage, although the box pedestals offer about twice the storage we need. ( If you stow it, you have to row it ! )

My wife and I are both tall and lean, so the block / rowers seat and oar positions need not change from one to another and yes, you're as likely to see her at the oars as you are to see me rowing. Being tall also meant that a couple of extra inches of side height really poses no problem entering or exiting the boat...again, it's nice to not have to buy a boat that caters to all body types, although I wouldn't want another high side, ever.

As Dude recommends, if you're putting together a package deal, upgrade the oars. That sort of applies to all the brand specific accessories too - boat covers, etc. They seem to be more financially pliable when you're making one large purchase, than they are if it's done piecemeal.

It boils down to our individual priorities and maybe a little brand / peer acceptance.

Have a great season, Dave

2013 Models
Clackacraft ------------- Hyde
16' Weight Forward --- Contender

Gunwales: 17' 4" -- 17’ 3”

Centerline: 15' 10" -- 15’ 8 ½’

Beam: 83" -- 85”

Side Height: 23" -- 23”

Oar Lock Height: 25" -- 26”

Bottom Width: 57" -- 56”

Weight Approx.: 285 lbs. -- 305 lbs.

Motor: 10 H.P. -- 10 H.P.

Dragking
05-07-2014, 05:40 PM
Thanks everyone for the great advice! I think deep down I am leaning towards the Eddy. I just think I need to row one to make sure I'm not spooked by the low sides. The low sides are really the only think that's freaking me out. I totally agree with the oar advice--everyone I have talked to seems to agree that oars are more important than the boat they're locked to. I'm gonna pull the trigger out Sawyer/Mountain drift boat square tops with shoal cut Dynalite blades no matter what boat I choose. I hadn't considered the fourth seat issue. Although it would be nice to have every once in a while (take the in-laws for a float, etc.), I don't think I need it. Besides, if I buy new, I was going to forgo the front seat pedestal all together and get a Yeti with a seat mounted to it (Clack is offering frontseat-less boats starting this year...there's just a flat platform up front with two steel brackets for cooler straps).

I'm still interested to hear any other opinions (especially on safety), but I'll keep you posted if I can work up the courage to part with a small fortune.

Thanks!

Tfisher
05-07-2014, 09:24 PM
I'm getting closer to pulling the trigger on a drift boat, and I am between Clack's WF and Eddy. (I might consider the RO analog to those models, but, for purposes of keeping this thread focused, let's assume I'm getting a Clack.)

As far as experience, I have never owned a drift boat, but I have a 12 ft, two man pontoon boat with a fishing frame that I have been rowing for a couple years now. I have had it out (without incident) on the American, Feather, Yuba, Lower Sac, Trinity and SF Eel Rivers. Assume that I would be based out of Redding, primarily fishing the aforementioned rivers (especially the Lower Sac and Trinity) and branching out to other rivers to the North (both in California and Southern Oregon).

I understand the fundamental difference between the two boats (namely, performance in the wind/rowing performance vs. added safety). However, I've heard different opinions about the practical differences between these boats. For example, one guide I trust (who rows an Eddy) talked about the Eddy's great performance in the wind, but cited the added safety of the higher-sided WF. Another guide I trust (who rows a WF) talked about the advantages of an Eddy in the wind and insisted that if you put yourself in a situation where water in coming over the side of an Eddy, water also would likely be coming over the edge of a WF in that situation. Obviously, I intend to ease my way in and get experience on mellow stretches first, but I'm interested to hear your thoughts.

Thanks in advance!

Let me start by saying that had you asked this question about 3 weeks ago, you could have taken out my former boat (16 ft. Low Profile Clack). I had it for the past 4 years and put about 100 days on it. Live in Davis as well (will be speaking at the FFOD meeting as the May speaker so if you want to chat in person feel free to meet me then). I also rowed a Koffler prior to that for some years, and have fished out of RO's, Hyde, and Clacks of various types and models from the Eddy to the WF.

Let me redirect this topic a bit, and ask a question I think you really need to answer before you pull the trigger on the purchase. And that is, "how many fishing buddies do you really have?" And of those that are regular fishing "buddies," how many can "row?" I mean really row...or like to row, or are willing to row a lot? Like how many know how to position the boat properly, how to anticipate where you want to slow down your drift, are able to back-row etc, and understand the nuances of fly fishing with a drift boat? If the answer is less than probably 4 (all of whom should be able to at a moments notice drop everything to fish), then you should probably reconsider the drift boat purchase. Because, you will find with time that you do all the rowing, and NONE of the fishing. Which is great if you like exercise, but not so much if you want to fish regularly.

I know exactly where you are coming from in thinking that the amortized cost of a drift boat is cheaper than to constantly obtain a guide. And yes, its totally worth having the drift boat so that you can go wherever you want, whenever you want. BUT........You wont be fishing any more than you do now, and probably less, if you purchase a driftboat, that's the cold hard truth. And unless you plan to guide, which there does not seem to be any shortage of at the moment, you are likely better off letting them be your water taxi. Now this is not an endorsements of guides, and I'm not suggesting that having the boat isn't great, but unless you're able to answer the above question(s) your with a resounding YES, then it won't yield much benefit over your pontoon.

As to your original question. The answer to that is get the WF; no question. 4 inches doesn't seem like much, but it can mean the difference in certain situations. Better safe than sorry. (Not sure what your experience rowing is like....) Having that extra margin of safety is crucial on certain coastal rivers, or rock gardens where you will inevitably hit, regardless of skill. The wind issue is somewhat moot here, in that you likely won't be fishing if its gusting like crazy. And if it is windy, its going to suck rowing regardless of whether you are in a WF or a LP. Having higher sides is also nice if you eventually go for a motor, or have kids in the boat, or worry about stuff falling out. You get so much less chop over the sides. And yes I've floated all of the rivers you've mentioned, save Oregon in my LP Clack regularly without huge issues, but you never know. Had I had a choice in boat purchases (I bought used/good deal) I would have chosen a WF/FFB/Steelhead Model.

P.S. The shoal cut blades IMO aren't a huge advantage. Many a great rower don't use the shoal cut dynalites (although yes dynalites are nice and light, and I would get the regular long shaft dynalites if given a choice), but the shoal's don't allow you to feather as easily, or pull as much water, or allow you to stand push row backwards. Just some advice.

Lastly, if you purchase new and are choosing a color you might want something neutral like white as opposed to all those fancy stripes, because when you scratch it I guarantee you it will look better against a white background.

This coming from someone who's on the fence about getting a new driftboat (to eventually fish with my sons), but using the funds freed from the old one to do some travel and actual fishing time for oneself... Just a thought.

TaylerW
05-07-2014, 10:43 PM
I own a 2014 eddy and regularly take people out in it. I used a 2013 wf on the Klamath this fall, and compared to the wf this new eddy is a sports car! Backrows amazingly and holds in current that you can't believe until you see it yourself. Let me know if you want to row it, I'm on the lower yuba often.

dude02
05-08-2014, 03:10 PM
If you come up to Redding you can row my WF if you can't find one closer to you. It is an older model but has the tunnel hull and the dimensions are the same as the new boats. We could do a half day trip.

Randy B
05-08-2014, 04:56 PM
Let me know if you want to want to row a WF here in the Sac area. We can hit the American and chase some stripers at the same time.

mircetich
05-09-2014, 08:07 AM
FWIW: As a guide in Nor. Cal and Idaho I have had the RO Guide and DeVille, as well as a WF Clacka, and currently a Eddy, they all have their benefits: RO great construction and much lighter than Clackas but the price for that is thinner glass, not as solid. The WF a very safe boat, but the Eddy....Handles better, the wider back end means the boat is not as affected by heavier guys in the back.
Holds water better and ease of rowing than all three.
On the rivers you focus on, and with your experience in rowing, a Eddy would suit your needs. I got mine with the Yeti 65 cooler as front seat and that is the best thing I have ever done for a boat. It frees up the rower space and keeps the boat balanced. Worth every penny. Their are more benefits to the CLackas as well,; longer rod holders as well as dual on each side though the RO Nomad is bridging the gap. I will say, the Deville is too low, more of a skiff than a drift boat....

Scott V
05-09-2014, 08:11 AM
I'm looking at the Clacka fly fishing bench myself. Trying to find someone with one so I can paddle it before I buy. If anyone knows someone that has one, please let me know.

aaron
05-09-2014, 10:22 AM
I have the 16' LP, nice boat, predictable, and safe. If you're using the boat to fish out of, most of the floats on the rivers you mentioned I'd put a premium on the way it back rows, holds etc which would lead me to the Eddy.

Dragking
05-09-2014, 10:54 AM
Thanks, everyone. Very helpful. I am all too familiar with the problem of fishing less once you become the guy with the boat. That said, I am moving to the Redding area and hope to be fishing with proficient rowers more often. I am also training up my wife on the sticks, so that will help.

The more I think about it, the more I want the Eddy, and, after talking to the Clacka guys, the Yeti from seat is the way to go. (Now you can have cooler mounts and a removable front pedestal seat. Pretty cool. I think I might be able to solve the safety issue by keeping my pontoon for sketchy coastal rivers/new beats. I might be in touch with those of you who offered to let me row your boats. (I really appreciate it.)

Thanks!

TaylerW
05-09-2014, 01:35 PM
if you call clacka and buy new, talk to josiah if you can. those guys are not paid on commission, but he has been great in all my transactions!

mircetich
05-12-2014, 07:42 AM
Word to the Wise: The Yeti 45 they offer as "standard" is way too small for a day on the river and three guys. They amount of insulation they have reduces how much they can carry significantly. Do yourself a favor and get the 65. I took their advise, got the 45, and was way too small, bought the 65 a month later....