PDA

View Full Version : A fun plan for water during a drought ....

David Lee
05-06-2014, 02:55 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/water-flows-uphill-maybe-california-drought-181712447.html

"Nearly half the water Dudley Ridge hopes to receive would irrigate the orchards of Paramount Farms, owned by Los Angeles billionaires Stewart and Lynda Resnick, who produce POM Wonderful pomegranate juice and Wonderful pistachios."

Such a shame that no one can survive without Pomegranate juice and Pistachios ....

D.~

Darian
05-06-2014, 10:45 PM
Since pushing water upslope in the CVP/SWP isn't anything new (see the pipes over the mountains between Bakersfield and L.A.), I'm wondering how they're going to address all of the peripheral issues. At the least, doesn't burning diesel to generate power contribute to air pollution and doesn't the valley have some of the worst air in the state?? At the most, what's to stop upstream users (think Delta) from taking water from the forebay at the pumps and putting it back into the Delta??? Lets try this one, maybe growers have finally realized that groundwater pumping was causing ground levels to subside so much that the canals would crack and turn teh valley into a giant lake. Here's another one (I've proposed this before), maybe they should construct a high dam at Carquinez Straits to capture all of that lost water that escapes to the ocean. That'd sure as H__L provide a final solution to the lack of water down there. Plus, no more need to allocate water as all of the land between Red Bluff and Bakersfield would be under water. OK, all of those are ridiculous but they're about as realistic as this proposal is. ;) No doubt, DWR will approve it, tho.

Here's a question, Why hasn't the state constructed a water bank for NorCal as they did in the southern San Joaquin?? Probably because they would hand it over to private interests as they did with the Kern County Water Bank and stand around acting as tho they didn't know what hit them.... :mad: To be fair, DWR has advocated water banks before as part of their alleged "water portfolio".

Sorry, I just had to get all of that out of my system.... I'm done now. :cool: