PDA

View Full Version : need some ideas

Brendo
05-01-2014, 02:34 PM
I recently started fishing a pond that is enclosed in living and dead trees and the only effective way to fish it is by tube. At least for now the bass sit right off the bank under heavy wood cover. Yesterday with a buddy we fished side by side switching who lead first. he was using a bait caster and punching the banks with a soft plastic creature bait called a beaver. i was using a rubber legged whooly bugger just a little bit smaller but the same general color. although we both caught fish, mine were all under 2 pounds and his were all above 3. i think the problem is sinking rate, and how my fly presents differently. i was also thinking that maybe plastic moves the water in a more receptive way? does anyone have advice on what flies could mimic plastic baits or what materials i might incorporate into flies i tie?

jersey
05-02-2014, 01:33 AM
Go bigger and on top following his casts, especially if he misses a fish. The plastics have such a controlled sink rate, it is tough to mimick the with fur and feathers

Brendo
05-02-2014, 09:12 AM
Thanks jersey. I tied up some articulated rubber legged flies to kinda mimmick the creature bait, and ill definitely try to get them on top now that the waters warming up. ill see if that's what it takes in the next few hours.

Ryan
05-02-2014, 12:57 PM
Not sure if you tie or not. But if you do, maybe try wrapping your buggers in lead and put in a weed guard so the fly can get around all that gnarly cover.

David Lee
05-02-2014, 01:03 PM
Try a #2 , 8 Wt. Craw on 10-feet of 15 Lb. leader (no taper) , whack it to the bank and do NOTHING but watch the end of your flyline .

D.~

Brendo
05-03-2014, 05:34 PM
using big poppers got me some fish but they were still juveniles. I did have one hawg fish attack, just no hook set. ill tie up a craw or 2 tonight and give that presentation a try tomorrow. There's also monster carp that swim beneath my tube in one area. if i cant figure out the bass i might try for carp in the future, although i hear that's an even more confusing game. thanks for everyone's input so far.