PDA

View Full Version : Rivers of a Lost Coast - watch the film free

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-27-2014, 10:21 AM
http://www.snagfilms.com/films/title/rivers_of_a_lost_coast_standard_edition

This is a great local film of the sad history of our steelhead and salmon in Nor Cal.

Lots of our old timers are in this film.

Walt Bennett, Chuck Campana, Al Perryman, Russ Chatham, Hal Janssen, Bob Nauheim, Jim Adams, George Innes, Larry Cullens, Joe Patterson, and many others are interviewed in this great film.

I am even in it because Joe Shirshac donated a lot of his old Super 8 movies to the cause.

It is the best selling video in the history of our fly shop.

Try to watch it if you get time......it is 1.5 hours with short advertisements.

Go full screen and turn up your sound.

winxp_man
04-28-2014, 12:41 AM
If this movie does not store emotions your not a fisherman what so ever!!! Great video and a must watch who hasn't seen it yet and now its on you computer screen. Good post Bill.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-28-2014, 08:32 AM
Many of us baby boomers are really happy about the film.

We listened to these old fly fishers the age of our parents talk about the good old days on the coast for steelhead and salmon.

We thought that someone has to get it documented.

Then these two youngsters, the age of our children, came along and wanted to make the movie.

I gave Justin Coupe the start of the list of about 30 old people to talk to. Then it just got bigger.....

I never thought the movie would be as well done as it is.

Thanks to these two young men, we have saved the stories of the fishing we once had in Nor Cal.

By removing some more dams, we might have wild salmon and steelhead runs again?

winxp_man
04-28-2014, 10:15 AM
Bill, yes removing dams will help but some dams really do help flood control (which might be a good thing or a bad thing for nature to take place) and hold water for cities, create electricity. So the issues is like the old guys talk about in the movie we thought the fish would never go away. Well the same issue was or is with the dams. The people making the dam projects go up did not give a second thought to the fish that need the waters above to spawn in. Well they do and now we see a new type of idea implemented in newer built dams. This is the ladder system or bypass or whatever you want to call it for anadromous fish to get up and have a way to make it to better spawning habitat also lots more water to make it possible for a river system to hold more fish (example American River can only hold so many fish in 23 miles of water). Then again there are quite a few dams that are still up for no reason what so ever that need to come down and let these fish go up and get more places to spawn in. So there good reasons for dams and bad. I would say it will be, in my opinion, a never ending battle because of energy that we need to power cities and the modern world.

Imagine now if they decided to finally build a fish passage so the fish can make it up in the upper forks of the American!!