PDA

View Full Version : Another of our old time fly fishers pass, Neil C Hansen.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-27-2014, 09:22 AM
HANSEN, Neil C.
August 2, 1926 - April 16, 2014

Born in Medford, Oregon, the oldest son of Hannes C. and Rosa D. Hansen. The family moved to the San Francisco Bay Area in 1936 where Neil spent his early school years before attending Oregon State College to study Technical Forestry (1943-44). He served in the U.S, Merchant Marine (1944-45) and then resumed his studies at Oregon State (1946-48) and graduated from the University of California at Berkeley (1949) with a B.S Degree in Business Adminstration. Served in the U.S Army (1950-52.)

Neil has been a resident of Sacramento since 1959. He was a great lover of the outdoors and an avid fly fisherman, active in the California Fly Fishermen Unlimited, the Save the American River Association and the Upper Sacramento River Project.

Neil was also a great supporter of the Crocker Museum and a talented artist himself - especially in his later years when his physical activities were limited.

He was preceded in death by his wife Myrna Rademacher Hansen and brother Jonathan Hansen. He is survived by his nephews Todd Hansen and Craig Hansen, his nieces Sarah Braun and Lisa Stone, his brother Howard Hansen and sister Florence Higgins.

Memorial donations may be made to the Save the American River Association, 4441 Auburn Blvd., Sacramento 95841 or a charity of your choice .

See more at: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/sacbee/obituary.aspx?n=neil-c-hansen&pid=170813892#sthash.xrCzDQ97.dpuf

Read more here: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/sacbee/obituary.aspx?n=neil-c-hansen&pid=170813892#storylink=cpy

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-27-2014, 09:55 AM
Neil's favorite stream was the Pit River in Nor Cal.

I think McCumber Reservoir was his favorite trout stillwater.

Neil was a very close friend of mine who did my book keeping for many of my early years in business.

He was one of the founding members of the local fly club, the California Fly Fishermen Unlimited.

Neil was also an artist, loving to sketch and paint which he did more as he became older.

He was a automobile enthusiast as well. He had some interesting cars through his life time which he really enjoyed.

Neil had a TP&L 8' pram and later a really nice 13' Boston Whaler.

Some years back he was widowed and I was divorced and alone too. We spent a lot time together in those years fishing in some of his favorite places.

I listened to all his wonderful stories of the past which I thoroughly enjoyed.

After my father passed away, my mother, Betty Kiene, and Neil became good friends.

Andy Guibord was also lucky to spend a lot of good days with Neil fishing together on many local fisheries.

Like many of the Greatest Generation, Neil had a long interesting life.......I think he was 87.

Charlie Gonzales
04-27-2014, 10:12 AM
Sad news Bill. Neil was a wonderful person.

Bob G
04-27-2014, 01:11 PM
Sorry to learn of Neil's passing...He was one of the most enjoyable people that I have had the privilege to know.

Sincerely, Bob

Langenbeck
04-27-2014, 06:53 PM
Bill, That was a very nice tribute to Neil. A truly nice guy. Hard to believe that he was 87.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-28-2014, 07:00 PM
He was one of those fly fisher who collected the bugs then measured them and tied pattern that were pretty close to the natural.

He hand tied all his tapered mono leaders.

Never used an indicator for nymphing on free stone steams.