PDA

View Full Version : The "new" Fiberglass rods and fly lines question

agcampbell
04-24-2014, 12:07 PM
Hi all,

I was pondering getting my first glass rod. I think I like the concept for small stream fishing, but was wondering if any particular fly line would be better suited to them. For instance, I was going to order a 3wt Redington Butter Stick, but was lost on which fly line to get for it. Does their slower action dictate a particular line? DT? WF? I plan on tossing mostly dries with the occasional nymph. Please help a young guy out! Thanks!

TaylerW
04-24-2014, 12:10 PM
i have been using a few glass rods on some local creeks here in el dorado county for a while now, and for the most part i am really starting to like my double taper lines again. rio should have some new DT's coming out sometime with their new core, but as of right now i would get the trout LT DT! hard to go wrong with it really!

Rich Morrison
04-24-2014, 12:56 PM
The Trout LT is a good line but it is WAY overweighted. Take a look at Rio's website (thank you Lincoln!!) and compare the head weights/lengths for thier lines to AFTTMA standards. A Rio LT 3wt goes well on modern fast 3wt graphite but will overload the heck out of a Reddington Butter Stick 3wt. I'd go with a Wulff TT or a Cortland 444. Or buy a 1wt Rio line for it.

Darian
04-24-2014, 02:12 PM
Another vote for Wulff TT lines for glass rods. I like the taper. :cool:

Bob G
04-24-2014, 07:35 PM
A strong second vote for Taylor's recommendation. As background, the RIO Trout LT DT-3-F Line weighs 105 grains in the front 30 feet, which is comfortably within the AFTMA's fairly narrow range of tolerances.

Have fun with whatever selection(s) you make!

Good Luck, Bob

Ben J
04-24-2014, 07:48 PM
I have the echo glass 3 wt and ended up overlining it with a Rio LT 4 wt. I tried the SA mastery trout 3 and GPX 3.5 but I wasn't really getting a good feel with either. I haven't overlined other rods unless a lot of roll casting or indo fishing is involved, but the echo is my first fiberglass rod and I'm still trying to get a feel for casting a slower action stick. I bought the rod for short casts on small creeks and the 4 wt LT seems to give me the best feel and accuracy at close range. Like anything, I'm sure all the new fiberglass rods have a different feel and line tolerance.

TaylerW
04-24-2014, 07:53 PM
Give me a call at the shop on monday or wednesday between 12-5pm if you can, would love to help you get your setup dialed, we have that rod on the shelf at the moment and have the lines as well. put a small reel on it and its go time!

Rich Morrison
04-24-2014, 09:21 PM
I failed to note the LT DT lines were being discussed. Most of my experience has been with the WF lines, which have a much heavier and longer head. Thus the name eh? Thanks to Bob G for setting me straight. I have not tried the Rio DT lines. I'm not a fan of DT lines.

Dan LeCount
04-24-2014, 10:17 PM
Casting distances play a big part of it. Same with casting style/preferences. I'd go to your local shop and test some lines and cast your typical fishing distances.

TigerLilly
04-25-2014, 03:12 AM
I have a couple of pre production glass Scotts. 7'6 and 8'3 if I remember well. They both dance with a #3 Tri Taper.
Kind of like a long double taper. They mend and roll cast like a dream. Why would anyone put a WF on 3 weight glass?

EricO
04-25-2014, 11:45 AM
That Butterstick is sure a nice looking rod. I was considering buying one but I already have a few 3 wt rods.

Yet i always want more. Damn it. :)

EO

wineslob
04-25-2014, 02:25 PM
That Butterstick is sure a nice looking rod. I was considering buying one but I already have a few 3 wt rods.

Yet i always want more. Damn it. :)

EO

Kinda like bamboo...................:cool:

"Vintage" glass is also a choice.

John Sv
04-25-2014, 03:13 PM
I have some small glass rods that are good fun. Currently I'm without a bruiser rod for big fish except an old hand-me-down Fenwick FF9010. So I got thinking "Well there is nothing wrong with this thing, I should just use it"
Maybe it is just what my Dad says about my generation being soft but dang I see no way that that rod is cartable all day. It is a heavy beast that requires a lot of arm.

agcampbell
04-25-2014, 08:20 PM
Thanks for all the replies! I've ordered my gear and can't wait to try it out in the Trinities this summer. I'll let you know how it all worked out