PDA

View Full Version : Incredible Day

Tony Buzolich
04-23-2014, 03:42 PM
You all know that a picture is worth a thousand words,,,right? Well today would be worth all of that and more,,,,,,,, if I had brought my camera with me.

I decided to head out by myself as all my buddys are either still having to work for a living or their wives said they had to do something else today like laundry or mow the lawn.

I got to the ramp right at 6:00 and as expected the lot was already two-thirds full. It was a little tougher by myself as they haven't put the dock back yet and tying up the boat to a pile of rocks is less than stable while parking the truck.

I make it off okay and head to my usual starting point expecting that instant grab that Bill got the day before. But not this morning. Maybe it was all the boat traffic racing by as I worked my favorite corner. I make another pass and really dredge this time expecting either a hook-up or a snag. Wham! Sudden stop, head shake, set set and game on. That didn't take too long and it feels like a good fish. I use the electric to get away from the wall as more boats go racing by. Around and under and finally to the net (one handed mind you) and in comes a nice 10 pounder. All right! Let's get a quick pic and get this fish back into the water.

Now comes the thousand word part,,,,,,"Where's my camera?" Damn-it, I left it home when I down loaded some pictures from yesterday. Damn again!

So I continue on and not much is happening. That first fish was too quick. I want more grabs. Even a little tick would do and for the next hour I work my way downstream hitting all the high percentage spots without even a tap. I decide to try a few walls that I never fish just to try something different. Finally now the mud flats. Really shallow and only gets to 5'-6' at the end. I work along the end rip-rap and wham! again. Another nice fish that takes off in the shallows like a bonefish. To the boat again with the one handed net action and I boga a nice 8 pounder. :) Not to bad and it's only 7:30AM.

Continuing on I hit spots that usually produce and get nothing. Finally I'm down at Bill's wall. We took two or three here yesterday but I don't pay much attention to this spot. But, why not? A couple of casts and I've got another grab. This fish feels a bit smaller but still fights hard and I'm able to get this "schoolie" in with little effort. About 2-3 pounds.

I make another pass on the same wall and get another big grab. Damn! This one's heavy like the first one. Again, move the boat away from the bank and do the one handed net thing and in comes a carbon copy of the first fish,,,,, a nice 10+pounder. Spilling milt everywhere I remove the hook, and not having a camera, I release him back to the water. Damn, I'm still mad at myself for leaving my camera at home.

But, I'm pumped with adrenaline from this last fish and wonder if there might be a school stacked up here so I decide to make another pass starting at the top of Bill's Wall again. Almost to the same bush landmark I get another big grab. Solid fish not fighting too hard yet but heads toward the middle of the river taking line and I'm able to get on the reel. Finally I can work her as she comes alive. We're drifting the whole time as I try to control this fish and other boats going by are cheering me on. Again the net and she comes aboard. Geez! This ones bogas between 12-14 pounds but I can't see straight as I'm shaking trying to hold her up.

Finally a light comes on in my head and I remember my wife bought me a new cell phone with a camera in it. All right:) NOT! I don't know how to use the damn thing. I quickly call my wife and ask for help but she doesn't know what to do either without looking at it. DAMN :( Now I'm really P-Oed and release another great fish......... without a picture.

So, that was my morning. I did get one more almost at the warehouses and it really was a great day and the fish were biting. But it sure would have been nice to share a few pics with my friends on the board. I'll be out there again tomorrow and I've already packed my camera, and even got a lesson from my wife as to how to use a cell phone. :)
Tony

Rockman
04-23-2014, 04:35 PM
Well done Tony! Hope to get out this weekend and get some of that kind of action.