PDA

View Full Version : morning on the Hoh

Bruce Slightom
04-23-2014, 08:39 AM
I had gotten up earlier than normal to make sure that I would get into the run first. Walked down to the river in the dark and waded out to the top of the run more by feel than sight. As the light penetrated the cloud cover and the far bank became a little more in focus I stated fishing down the run.
It was what the Scott’s call a soft day, light rain, clouds hanging on the mountains. Birds waking up and singing their songs, a pair of eagles soaring over the river. Perfect day.
I heard a few trucks go by up on the road, headed for one of the boat put in’s up river. I figured that I had more than an hour before the first boat came by, if any had chosen to float this section of river.
I was in a good rhyme, cast, mend, swing, step down. The current felt good pulling against my legs and the water had a bite to it reminding me that Mt. Olympus and its glaciers were at the head of the valley hidden by the clouds. I was caught up in the tranquility of it all, being by myself the only noise was the song of the river and what the birds made. The swish of line going out on the cast. The feel of the current on the line and fly being pulling through the run. Out of no where an otter popped his head up not ten feet in front of me and scared the crap out of me!

JasonB
04-23-2014, 08:51 AM
Nice imagery there Bruce! Man can I relate. Had a very similar morning on my last trip this winter on the Eel. This one Otter kept making his rounds both up and down the run, and popped up right next to me more than once checking me out. I think it was maybe the third time or so when I realized that perhaps he wasn't so much checking me out as trying to give me the stink eye, pissed that I was fishing in "HIS SPOT"! No matter, we both got some fish that day... and it was a beautiful one at that.
Life is good.
JB

Rick J
04-23-2014, 12:02 PM
yeah maybe but catching was also pretty good for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

njbeast
04-23-2014, 01:44 PM
Had the same experience on the Klamath last couple of years. Fish by the state line every year and the same family l of otters swim by...last year the brood counted seven. My friends get pissed but I could watch them all day. Last year had an osprey giving me either the stink eye or encouragement. Foul hooked a small rainbow and as soon as I let him go the osprey swoops down for an easy tidbit. ten feet away.