PDA

View Full Version : Mahi by another name

mems
04-21-2014, 10:07 PM
Aloha, any of you guys ever get to catch the small mahi, actually a pompano? We call them cane knives, cause they look like filipino gardening tools. They are also called machete mahi. Anyway I got a nice bull on saturday, they run smaller than regular mahi but they are better tasting. Had some pan fried for dinner tonight with some fresh ahi poke, we got a half dozen ahi as well on saturday. I don't know if they get them in baja, but they are a very cool species. Sorry no pictures, forgot the camera in the truck. Hope everyone had a great easter. I am making homemade split pea soup with the ham bone. Fishing in Hawaii has been very good lately, whales have split and the ono are around in numbers. If you ever catch the smaller mahi make sure you cook some up, you will be impressed, Mems.

Darian
04-22-2014, 09:30 AM
Aloha Don,.... Pompano are sometimes caught at La Ventana while fishing near shore for Roosters. Our boat has only deliberated targeted them once and for a limited time. They were really good eating. Our captain keeps most any we catch for his family. The Pompano we caught were from 3 to 5 pounds. Our captain said they grow larger.

I've thought about taking some smaller flies down there in June and spend some time catching a bunch of them for a dinner. YUM!!! :cool:

David Lee
04-22-2014, 10:34 AM
This little fella -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pompano_dolphinfish

Not sure if there's a big population in the SOC , I'll ask next time I chatter w/ the Guys I know down there .

D.~

Darian
04-22-2014, 10:56 AM
Hmmm,.... Not the same fish I was referring to in my prior post. I've never seen one of those down there that I know of. :confused:

David Lee
04-22-2014, 11:04 AM
I should have checked Mexfish first .... DUH .

http://www.mexfish.com/fish/pompdor/pompdor.htm

Guess they ARE there . Probably not in the surf , though ....

D.~

mems
04-22-2014, 02:13 PM
Yup that is them, I checked on Hawaii state fishing records and the state record is 7lbs 5 oz. Mine was pretty close. I should have had it weighed. They run smaller, but are good fun and love poppers. You usually get them in schools. Darian, the one you were talking about is the african pompano, kagami here in hawaii. I caught them down in baja as well. They are good eating. Always cool to catch new species. Thanks for the posts, Don

Baja Fly Fisher
04-22-2014, 07:11 PM
Efren and I had a couple shots at some African Pompano last year. They were on the surface feeding on a small california halibut at the south end of the island. Efren said that they probably weighed 25+ pounds each. Didn't want anything to do with a fly but then again I don't know what I would've done if I had hooked one on my 8 wt and not much line.
The dorado are here in numbers. Heard they were catching some up north. I'm in the East Cape and just hanging around doing nothing but relaxing. No sardinas is the word but most are using ballyhoo for bait. Looks like a hookless plug to tease up some dorado and tuna.

See you guys in a couple weeks.

Jay

mems
04-23-2014, 09:39 AM
Hey Jay, go and catch a nice stripped marlin. No sardinas, guess we will have to fish hawaiian style. Get one mahi on and cast to his buddies. I will bring more trolling lures and some soft plastics to cast. For the big roosters we can catch a lady fish and then troll that and bait and switch. Good thing the predators still are there. If the ahi come in early it could be a bonus. Maybe sashimi on deck. I better pack some wasabi. See you in a month, Don.

Baja Fly Fisher
04-23-2014, 02:13 PM
All the captains love sashimi, especially fresh. Bleed it and pack it on ice for a couple hours.. MMMMM... MMMMM. Melts in your mouth. One year, I had 3 fishermen from Japan out in the boats and they cooked a pot of rice before they got in the van. I was wondering what the heck they are doing with the pot. Around 11am we tied all the boats together and had lunch. Excellent, fresh sashimi and sushi. One guy was a pro sushi chef. Hand rolls and nori maki rolls.
Damn I'm getting hungry and all I have is enchilada's

Jay