PDA

View Full Version : Forecast for the 108 area this week

k9mark
04-21-2014, 11:14 AM
Spoke to Walt at the Summit Ranger office today. He said snow is forecast for Thursday and Friday but the campgrounds will be open including Beardsley, Clarks Fork, and Kennedy Meadows. So prepare accordingly if you plan to camp the night before the opener.

TunaChuck
04-23-2014, 06:58 PM
Planning on heading up Saturday-Tuesday. Where are you planning to call home base?

k9mark
04-23-2014, 07:09 PM
I havent decided yet. Looking like I won't get anywhere until Saturday evening to fish Sunday and Monday.

RickyOrtiz
04-23-2014, 08:52 PM
Anyone heard anything bout herring creek if it's opened up yet? I'll be heading up there the first weekend of May. If herring isn't open I'll be going to Kennedy meadows.

TunaChuck
04-23-2014, 09:23 PM
I havent decided yet. Looking like I won't get anywhere until Saturday evening to fish Sunday and Monday.

Any preferences of campground? I've never been down that way. Was going to fish the Yuba or Truckee this weekend, but turns out the lady has a conference, so I figured I may as well go camping for a few days.

Planning on driving out after dropping her at SFO for her sat. morning flight.

k9mark
04-24-2014, 07:49 PM
Anyone heard anything bout herring creek if it's opened up yet? I'll be heading up there the first weekend of May. If herring isn't open I'll be going to Kennedy meadows.

Herring creek is closed

k9mark
04-24-2014, 07:50 PM
Any preferences of campground? I've never been down that way. Was going to fish the Yuba or Truckee this weekend, but turns out the lady has a conference, so I figured I may as well go camping for a few days.

Planning on driving out after dropping her at SFO for her sat. morning flight.

Any of the campgrounds along Clarks Fork and 108 all the way to Kennedy Meadows are fine and close to the water.

TunaChuck
04-25-2014, 12:20 PM
Sounds like they have 4" of fresh snow in Pinecrest and its supposed to keep coming down through tomorrow morning. Chains required a few miles outside of Longbarn. I may postpone a day and head up on Sunday instead.

dsfj40
05-01-2014, 05:19 AM
Any update on flows would be great. Heading up tomorrow. Wondering about Stan below Beardsley, South fork of Stan below Pinecrest, Kennedy Meadows area, Clarks fork???
Thanks, Dave

JasonB
05-01-2014, 06:38 AM
Looks like some very low flows on the Middle Stan http://www.dreamflows.com/graphs/day.083.php not really sure if that would be worth a trip. Links to lot of other flows here: http://www.dreamflows.com/flows.php?page=real&zone=canv&form=norm&mark=All#California_Sierra_West_Slope_Northern Not real familiar with those other stretches but it would appear to me that the south fork has a decent flow (pretty small streambead), and I would also guess that those numbers for the upper reaches of the Middle fork would indicate good fishing on the Clarks fork/Kennedy meadows area.
JB

dsfj40
05-01-2014, 03:49 PM
Those flows are crazy low!! Last year at this time I was surprised to see flows so low at 300 below Beardsley.
Thanks for the info!!
Anybody been up there? Called Kennedy to ask about flows cause I dont know what those flows mean there but they are only around on weekends.
Thanks! Dave

dsfj40
05-03-2014, 07:06 AM
Went up yesterday. The flows on the Middle Fork by Kennedy looked a little high as did the Clarks Fork. Maybe good if you were looking for planters but the wild fish like it a little lower. Drove back down stream and stopped at South Fork by Frasier Flat and fished a while. Flows are low and fishing was tough. Not the usual. Was climbing out of canyon and going to hop in truck and drive down to Sand Bar to fish afternoon/evening on Middle Fork at Sand Bar. Luckily a guy drove by and through sharing info told me that Sand Bar is closed for a year or so due to PG&E construction. Nobody can be down there. They will boot you out. `Fished the afternoon/evening above Frasier Flat south fork with very little fish love. Not sure where the fish are or if drought has had its toll on the resident wild fish.
Dave