PDA

View Full Version : Pontoon Do's and Don'ts ???

beachbum2
04-19-2014, 07:23 AM
Hello All,
I just recently purchased a Dave Scadden NFO Avenger XX. I am getting it put together and set-up for lots of fishing this year and I am looking for any do's and/or don'ts with this type of floating gear. Also I would welcome any set-up or configuration advice from any anyone. Please put in all of your 2 cents and let me know. Thanks

Fly Guy Dave
04-19-2014, 10:55 AM
If you are planning on taking it on any moving water, be real comfortable with it first. I would suggest getting the feel of it on stillwaters first, make sure you know how it handles and that you are a competent on the sticks. I saw a newbie with a pontoon get into some trouble on the Green River in Utah a few years back. It ended OK, but they had no business being out there.

Addendum: This guy's blog has a ton of info about successfully piloting a drift boat on a river and many of the things he discusses also applies to pontoons, especially a large two person one like you recently purchased. http://www.flyfishingtraditions.blogspot.com/search/label/Drift%20Boat%20Rowing

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-19-2014, 11:56 AM
Great advice..........

tcorfey
04-19-2014, 12:45 PM
I would add that when you have the pontoon full of air be careful leaving it in the bright sun on land where there is no water to keep the air inside cool as it expands and I have seen bladders pop. Also when transporting it inflated and moving from low elevation to a higher elevation the same thing can happen.

Troutsource
04-20-2014, 10:11 PM
Bring a pump with you on the pontoon (a cheap plastic one -- it saved my ass once after getting a puncture).

Consider getting a small trailer (or use the back of a pickup) so you don't have to assemble the whole thing when you arrive on the river (and you're itching to fish), then break it down at the end of the day (when you're exhausted). Best to keep it fully assembled.

Make sure you have good flippers so you can be more efficient. And bring an extra one if you can in case you lose or damage one.

Don't let your rod out of your hands. I rested mine on my legs once for a minute and it fell into the deepest section of the Green River (below the A-stretch). I almost jumped in after it (would have drowned), then noticed my leader was wrapped around part of the pontoon and miraculously was able to retrieve the whole thing by pulling on the tippet. Had to pull over after that and count my blessings. I think my pontoon has a velcro strap for the rod while it's in the rod holder. Good thing to use.

jds108
04-21-2014, 10:11 AM
It's better to store the tubes partially inflated rather than fully deflating and folding. The folds can cause cracking in the vinyl/pvc/urethane. Don't inflate/deflate with the valves in sand - you just don't want to get sand in the valves as they won't seal with sand in there.

Don't fish downwind in a lake and expect to row upwind to get back to your vehicle.

Get your weight centered on the 'toon. Most frames can be moved a bit fore and aft to make this adjustment.

If you're going to carry an automotive battery to power a trolling motor, secure the battery so it won't slide. I tipped in heavy waves once when I was sideways to the wave and the battery slid to the side while I was slightly leaned that same way.

I like my tubes to be pumped up pretty taut - but then you've got to make sure the 'toon isn't sitting out of the sun out of the water without some deflating. Even if you're just taking a shore break during fishing.