PDA

View Full Version : From Olympic Pennisula to the Green River... and all points.

Mike Stroud
04-14-2014, 12:11 PM
It's road trip time... We're planning a road trip for mid June.... Will spend a month on the road, traveling from the Olympic Pennisula to the Green River in Utah.

Where to stop? Where to stay?... Where to quench our thirst and where to fish? Any recommendations on accommodations, must see points of interest, and worthy watering holes? I'll respect your inclination to keep the secret drifts, runs and pools... a secret, however appreciate a gracious general direction of travel...

Hwy 82 along the Yakima... or Hwy 90 thru Missoula?

Thanks, in advance, for your recommendations, direction and wisdom!

I'm gonna need a couple of new rods for the trip.... Jamie Lyle, what have you got in the back of your rig?

:cool:

Tony Buzolich
04-14-2014, 03:56 PM
Starting on the Olympic Peninsula you've got to stop at Dupris" just out of Port Angeles. Besides a great watering hole you've got to try their "Dungenes Crab Spaghetti". This is to die for and worth the trip alone.

Not far south on the Hood Canal stop at Duckabush State Park and go for some of the summer cutthroat that come into the river and mill around the mouth. There also you can catch you own spot prawns right off the beach. Boil them up right on the beach with a wood campfire and share a few cold ones.

Yummm :) I'm salivating just thinking about some good times we had up that way, Tony

Jimmie
04-17-2014, 04:30 PM
If you are headed for Missoula from Washington, I suggest taking US highway 12 up the Clearwater, and the Locsa Rivers. It goes over Lolo Pass and then drops into the Bitterroot Valley, just south of Missoula. The Locsa is a great river. We have stayed at the USFS Powell Campground both trips to that country. ...a Forest service campground with electric hook ups!! There is a private lodge there too. Side note.. Martha Stewart fly fished the Locsa some years ago and wrote about it. Lower Clearwater and Locsa have Steelhead at times too. Good Luck!!

Mike Stroud
04-28-2014, 09:23 AM
Tony, Thanks for the tips! Fresh caught prawns over an open fire.. with some Ranier Ale? oh yea! Summer cutties sounds like the ticket, also!

Mike Stroud
04-28-2014, 09:25 AM
Jimmie. Thanks for the recommendation! We'll definitely check out the Locsa. Haven't been in that part of the country, so looking forward to the adventure!

Fly Guy Dave
04-28-2014, 10:43 AM
If you're taking I90 east out of Missoula, be sure to stop at Rock Creek, just south of Clinton, MT. It has some of the best fly fishing that part of Montana has to offer. When you get to Dutch John, Utah, be sure to give your business to Trout Creek Fly Shop/ Green River Outfitters. The folks there are friendly, professional and know their stuff. The other place in town...not so much. I would also suggest you spend an evening at Little Hole, follow the trail a bit upstream and right as it is almost dark, tie on a mouse pattern and fish the edges with big, splashy presentations. There are some HUGE browns in there that will positively smash your fly...or mouse...