PDA

View Full Version : 'A River Runs Through It' was on TV tonight......

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-29-2014, 10:46 PM
I watch it again........

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_River_Runs_Through_It_(film)

A great movie about life with a river running through it.

Mark Kranhold
03-30-2014, 09:46 AM
Funny , I recorded it when I saw it was coming on! Great story and beautiful country.

drdan
03-30-2014, 12:30 PM
Bill,

What was the effect in your experience of this movie on the sport?

FRSam
04-03-2014, 06:48 AM
Bill, truly a great movie! The casting, the narration done by Redford, the settings even the use of FFing equipment was outstanding. I've got it saved on my DVR and still watch it at least once a year. I was hoping "The River Why" would be made with the same attention to detail and casting but that was sure a disappointment.

Pete
FeatherRiverSam

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-03-2014, 07:44 AM
We heard that lots of new folks went to Montana that next few summers then it kind of went back to normal.

I think the sport of fly fishing will always be here, but not for everyone.

We are still promoting the classic methods like dry fly fishing some for trout and swinging flies for Steelhead too.

I think all fly fishers would love some time on the shallow salt water flats chasing Bonefish too.

Fishing with slit cane rods and old fiberglass rods with old fly reels is fun too.

Modern two handed fly fishing is the latest good thing to happen to the sport.

Fly tying and entomology are areas to go into as well.

Glad to see more folks going for warm water species now too.

The sport can really effect your life......

Rich Morrison
04-03-2014, 04:16 PM
Well said Bill. This sport has completely shaped my life. I am so incredibly thankful that my father had the patience and forethought to take me out at and 8, 9, and 10 years old - to get me exposed and a give me a good foundation for a lifetime of enjoyment on the water. There are very few things in life that give me more inner peace and pure joy than fly fishing. I read the book long before the movie. I was worried it would ruin what is for me a favorite piece of literature. But it didn't. It's a fitting tribute to a truly wonderful story. As for the River Why...I couldn't even get through it. I had no hope for the movie because I thought the book was awful. WAY too self aware and smug. Just my opinion.
Rich