PDA

View Full Version : Booked Peacock bass trip with Keith Kaneko

BillPu
03-20-2014, 02:41 PM
I am finally crossing off an adventure on my bucket list. I am sending in my deposit to go on a hosted trip to River Plate for peacock bass.

I'm a newbie to this type of fishing so would like to hear advice from anyone that has been out there.

Any advice or tips as to;

1) flies? Size? Quantity?
2) is most of the fishing done subsurface?
3) Sea Level travel stripping basket?
4) how many rods do you bring? I was thinking of one 10 wt and two 9 wt. Should I bring a 10 wt backup?
5) How many backup lines would you bring? I was thinking 2 floating, 3 intermediate and 1 F/I.

Any tips would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Bill

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-20-2014, 04:09 PM
Come into the new shop on a day when Jim Christensen is working.

Keith and Jim are the experts on that destination.

Jim has been on that trip about 6 times now.

He was just there last month.

Andy Guibord and I both have been there too, once.

The big variable to deal with is the water level when you arrive, depending on the recent rains.

Jim can prepare you for this.

I think a 9 weight rod is perfect. Take an 8 weight if you have it. Some 10 weights are OK if they are extremely light and have a medium powered tip. Lots of 10 weights are too heavy and too stiff.

Be sure your reels are light in weight too.

If the water is low you might use the floater and intermediate lines.

If the water is high you might only use a very fast sinking line.

BillPu
03-20-2014, 04:25 PM
Come into the new shop on a day when Jim Christensen is working.

Keith and Jim are the experts on that destination.

Jim has been on that trip about 6 times now.

He was just there last month.

Andy Guibord and I both have been there too, once.

The big variable to deal with is the water level when you arrive, depending on the recent rains.

Jim can prepare you for this.

I think a 9 weight rod is perfect.

If the water is low you might use the floater and intermediate lines.

If the water is high you might only use a very fast sinking line.

Thanks for the tip Bill. I just bought a Helios 2 10 wt and a Lamson ARX 4 with RIO Tropical Outbound floating.

Andy set me up with the hardware and I was talking to Jim and getting his advice. I just wondered what experiences others have had.

BTW that Helios 2 10 wt is pretty amazing!

Bull_Dog
03-20-2014, 09:43 PM
Thanks for the tip Bill. I just bought a Helios 2 10 wt and a Lamson ARX 4 with RIO Tropical Outbound floating.

Andy set me up with the hardware and I was talking to Jim and getting his advice. I just wondered what experiences others have had.

BTW that Helios 2 10 wt is pretty amazing!

Bill,

go to www.peacockbassflyfishing.net (http://peacockbassflyfishing.net)

Awesome information.

I have not talked to Keith in a while but a lot has gone on with Riverplate anglers in the past few years. I switched and an currently hosting three weeks to the Agua Boa Lodge this year.

You will have the time of your life if the conditions are right. Call me if you have any more questions.

Rob Anderson

BillPu
03-21-2014, 07:20 AM
Bill,

go to www.peacockbassflyfishing.net (http://peacockbassflyfishing.net)

Awesome information.

I have not talked to Keith in a while but a lot has gone on with Riverplate anglers in the past few years. I switched and an currently hosting three weeks to the Agua Boa Lodge this year.

You will have the time of your life if the conditions are right. Call me if you have any more questions.

Rob Anderson

Hi Rob,

Can you let me know what has changed at River Plate? What made you switch to Aqua Boa?

Thanks.

Bill