PDA

View Full Version : My Day at Pyramid 3/19

Troutstalker55B
03-20-2014, 11:41 AM
Just wanted to share my day at Pyramid which was my best results in the 5 times I have visited in the last 17 years. I'm not an expert at the lake by any means, but my vast knowledge and experience from another high alkaline body of water (Eagle) does give some insight on the rhythms of the lake. Productive conditions (wind), and finding active feeding fish is by far the most important aspect, rather than fly patterns and other variables.

Frank Pisciotta, Rob Anderson, and myself arrived at the lake before the sun came up, and positioned our ladders just shy of the shelf. We ran indicator rigs using Mahalo nymphs in wine, red, and mahalo midges in wine, and black with our bugs just off the bottom. I wanted to use the stripping rod but the action was so hot w/ the bobber I never changed. The Mahalo series of flies are available from Fishwest, if your coming up from the greater Sacramento area, make sure you stop by, ans stock up. The key to indicator fishing is constant mending to get a dead drift, that made the difference for myself that ended in 35 hook ups. Keeping the line short so you could mend effectively and stay in control really helps as well, most my fish were caught with only 15-20 feet of line out.

It's quite the scene at the lake, lots of these long time die hards all know each other and it's quite the social scene, which is really cool. I met so many good dudes out there from all over Nevada, and California. After the morning session waned, we had lunch and once again Rob's food was so delicious. He BBQed up some shish kabobs w/ venison, caramelized peppers and onions, wrapped in a tortilla, with creamy chipotle sauce and fresh lime juice - Killer.

There was a late afternoon bite that lasted for about an hour and a half where I could do no wrong, in fact I quit early, I caught more than my fair share. I hope all of you are able to get out in the next month and experience a great day like I had. Pyramid is a interesting place, but I won't be falling head over heels for it, though I will be fishing it much more in the future than years past. If that lake had monster rainbows, it would be a problem, as I wouldn't leave, ever!

Bull_Dog
03-20-2014, 09:57 PM
Hey Jon,

Awesome Day! You were on fire. I was so frustrated with your bent rod that I put on two Wine Maholo Nymphs. Keines has them and I checked Umpqua's inventory today and they have plenty more.

good for you yesterday.

Rob

Darian
03-20-2014, 10:51 PM
WOW!!! You guys really had a great trip!! The lunch sounds delicious. May have to try to duplicate it. Yummy!! :cool:

gene goss
03-21-2014, 07:37 AM
It just doesn't get any better.....good catching and a great shore lunch that Rob put on.....WOW
Monster Rainbow Trout....Jon have you fished Upper Klamath Lake?

Terry Thomas
03-21-2014, 03:48 PM
Great job. Thanks for the report.

DevinPreston
03-21-2014, 04:49 PM
You guys are getting me really excited for next week!!!! Cant wait!!

Troutstalker55B
03-21-2014, 06:54 PM
Gene,

I have fished upper Klamath for those large Frankenstein fish. I spent 3 days up there about 6 years ago and landed 1 fish a day, 4-6 pounds. Stayed at Rocky Point and it was fun camping with the boat right there at the dock. That's one lake you need to spend a lot of time on to really learn it.

jbird
03-22-2014, 07:11 AM
My buddy called me last night to tell me he got a nice 31" buck. He said as he was stepping off his ladder to fight it to the beach, he took a header and got a full baptism LOL! Said he cant remember if the fish pulled his balance off or if his legs weren't working from standing on that ladder so long LOL. either way, if you were at the north nets yesterday and saw a guy do a half Gainer off his ladder, that would be Curtis! Witnesses say the only thing visible was his arm and rod coming out of the water, keeping steady pressure on the fish. LOL!!!