PDA

View Full Version : Truckee Report - Sunday

Jeff F
03-18-2014, 08:46 AM
Got to the river around 9am. It was pretty cold, probably 30deg or so. River is in primo shape, but still toe-numbing cold. Fish were not active at all in the morning. Only managed one 17" bow (in full spawning colors) in three hours of fishing between Eric and myself.

So, at noon, we headed upstream a bit, hoofed it up the tracks a couple miles, and had at it again. This time in t-shirts! The warm weather was nice for us, but surprisingly there was hardly any bug activity. All we saw were a few smallish (#16) caddis, and a few B-dubs. No skwalas, no goldens, no MB's.

Managed to land a few decent sized rainbows and the last fish of the day was a nice 19" brown. The brown took a #14 tan bird’s nest. Most of the rainbows came on a #14 pale pink dubbed softhackle or a #12 stone of some sort.

While we're no Truckee experts by any means, the consensus was it should really turn on once the spawn is done and the water warms a bit and gets the bugs going. I'd say a few weeks away......

For those of you who were wondering about the snow situation up there......no significant snow until you get to Soda Springs and up on the pass. That's it. None in town or in the canyon. Grouse Ridge is almost bare, and the Tahoe NF site says you can drive all the way to Bowman Lake. That gives you an idea of the lack of snow and how early a season it's going to be. Should be able to get into some backcountry lakes by late April.

Anyway....that's it. A few pics from the Truckee below....

~J

bigfly
03-18-2014, 10:06 AM
Glad you hooked up....
Jeff, If you think that it's "toe numbing" now, should have come up during 20- temps.
Right now seems balmy by comparison. 48 deg. now versus 35 then.
Personally, I wouldn't wait too long to fish this year.
Flows will be low and warm later.....or non-existent.......
The tuffy will be tougher this year.
I think it's pretty sweet right now.....Skwallas....

Jim