PDA

View Full Version : Anyone fish the Lower Stan lately?

njbeast
03-14-2014, 08:18 AM
Going to float the Lower Stan on Wednesday to try my new pontoon and 3wt out. Anyone been on the river lately. Flows are alleged to be around 600. Any info is appreciated. Thanks

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-15-2014, 07:48 AM
Call Bob in Modesto at the Sierra Angler fly shop.....

Chris Gearhart
03-15-2014, 08:22 AM
I have not been on the Stan since January but I can tell you there are still some REALLY NICE fish on the Moke. Fish from 17"- 20+" have been very common. The trick is to be the first one down. If you really want to catch fish take that toon North for a couple hours and fish the Sac it is on!!

Good fishing and hope you let us know,

Chris

Magic
03-17-2014, 09:19 PM
I know the Stan pretty well....not many fish left. Don't know if the salmon restoration project or low flows have had an effect on the fish. Hard to find fish. Not too long ago, we met a guide down by the lower take out and he and client had not caught any all day. We had not either. Best.

njbeast
03-20-2014, 01:11 PM
Yeah...we got skunked. Floated from the put-in by Kennedy road. Heard a big rainbow crashing surface bugs about half way down...threw some dries but never saw another rise. Three kayakers came by a couple minutes after we left and told us about the huge rainbow hitting bugs just above us....only saw one other fisherman...he too was skunked...good news is my new Scadden Rampage worked great.