PDA

View Full Version : Upper Trinity Question

BobVP
03-12-2014, 09:22 PM
I took the opportunity today, returning to Fort Bragg from Ashland, to drive down Hwy 3 through Etna, Callahan, etc. Not the first time I've done this but it has been a while.
I wonder as I drive toward the lake what the Trinity is like, as far as fishing is concerned, in that area?
Anyone fished there? Trout?
Thanks.

Jeff F
03-13-2014, 08:25 AM
Bob, I did the same thing a few years back coming home from the northern Alps. As I drove south along Hwy 3, the water looked so good, I had to stop and fish it. Don't remember the exact spot I fished, but it was probably in the lower-middle section between the lake and the switchbacks up the grade to Etna.

The river there is very fishy. Water was gin clear, in early July when I was there. I didn't expect much, cuz you rarely hear of anyone fishing there, except where it dumps into the lake. I turned over some rocks, found some golden stones, mayflies, caddis, as with most rivers. So I fished a Prince nymph. Got into fish right away. Very hard fighting rainbows. Some were very nice size too.

So, the moral of the story is.....yes, there are fish in there. It's a beautiful setting too. I'd definitely spend more time fishing it if I were in the area.

Be sure and stop at the Yellow Jacket in Trinity Center. Definitely one of the best cheeseburgers I've ever had. They use Trinity Alp mountain-grazed beef. I always stop there when I'm in the area. Great stuff!