PDA

View Full Version : Jumping River Flows

Tony Buzolich
03-12-2014, 07:06 AM
Damn! What the heck's going on with these flows? We need to fill the reservoirs and the water jumped 10' over night at Tisdale. There's been no storm up valley in the last couple of days so why are they letting so much water out when we need to save it and fill the ponds?

The same thing in reverse on the Feather. We fished Boyd's last Saturday and it dropped a foot while we were there and now another foot down today.

These poor fish don't know what the hell to do,,,,,, try and go upriver to spawn or swim back down and stay in the delta.
Tony

ShawnM.
03-12-2014, 12:25 PM
The water is still going south. The aquaduct is still full all the way to the grapevine. Pyramid lake is within ten feet of spilling over and water is flowing like wine to all the orchards, vineyards and crops along I 5. Being from northern California (the delta) It actually made me sick to see that much water in the south and we (northern California) are starving for water. To top it off I just heard they are going to put three new rock wall (saltwater intrusion dams) in the delta. I just don't get it?????

Scott V
03-12-2014, 03:18 PM
The water is still going south. The aquaduct is still full all the way to the grapevine. Pyramid lake is within ten feet of spilling over and water is flowing like wine to all the orchards, vineyards and crops along I 5. Being from northern California (the delta) It actually made me sick to see that much water in the south and we (northern California) are starving for water. To top it off I just heard they are going to put three new rock wall (saltwater intrusion dams) in the delta. I just don't get it?????

What's not to get, it is all about the money and the south has plenty of it to buy the politics up north.

Mike Bosworth
03-12-2014, 09:11 PM
Tony,

It looks like most of the increased flows can be attributed to runoff from the tributaries downstream of Shasta. Cow creek, clear creek, cottonwood creek, mill creek and deer creek. If sites reservoir was built and operating, we could be capturing some of this runoff in sites by pumping it up to sites, storing it and using that water to augment environmental, agricultural and municipal needs during the summer and fall.

SeanO
03-12-2014, 09:36 PM
Native fish benefit from a less managed river in a several ways. High water helps some of our species come upriver to spawn like sturgeon and helps others like salmon smolts get out to the ocean.

Bring the high flows on.