PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some insight

njbeast
03-11-2014, 05:31 PM
Just bought a Redington Tempt six piece pack rod and a Lamson Velocity reel. I am looking for some info as to what may be the best fly line to use. Mainly will be fishing smaller rivers and streams, mostly dries but also some nymph action. Looking for light presentation with the dries and roll casting ability. Thanks in advance for any help.

Darian
03-11-2014, 06:24 PM
For small streams, etc., my choice would be a double taper floating line of the appropriate weight for the rod. Easily cast regular or roll. Lands light on the water. :cool:

njbeast
03-12-2014, 07:41 AM
Thanks for the input Darian. Rio Gold seems to be pretty popular. I have done quite a bit of investigation and since this is more of a medium action rod I agree with the double taper, although I really don't think it matters much since the first 45 feet or so is the same on either a double or weight forward. I just hate paying big bucks for anything. I got the rod for $86. and a good price on the Lamson.

Darian
03-12-2014, 08:34 AM
You might look into the Wulff, Triangle Taper (TT) lines for a slightly different double taper profile.... :cool:

greenomics
03-12-2014, 12:54 PM
I used SA Mastery Series Trout WF3F on my Redington CT 380-6. Worked very well for me on small lakes and streams.

Bob G
03-12-2014, 01:54 PM
Based on your desired application, I would definitely follow Darian's suggestion regarding matching the line to the number specified on the rod.

Since your question(s) is specific, in an attempt to not confuse you I will answer specifically based on my personal preferences. My qualification is that while I would be happy to fish other manufacturers' lines, Rio's floating lines just happen to be my personal favorite for trout fishing.

Here goes, concernig line tapers... if you are an intermediate fly fisher I would suggest the Rio "Gold" which is available in only an extended weight forward taper; and, if you are advanced then I suggest the Rio "Trout LT" in a Double Taper. If you are intermediate, and want to be advanced, still buy the "Gold"...you will know when, if ever, you need the "Trout LT". Generally, the intermediate caster will have far more to do with the "light presentation" occuring than the fly line.

Good Luck & Enjoy!

Bob

njbeast
03-12-2014, 09:37 PM
Based on your desired application, I would definitely follow Darian's suggestion regarding matching the line to the number specified on the rod.

Since your question(s) is specific, in an attempt to not confuse you I will answer specifically based on my personal preferences. My qualification is that while I would be happy to fish other manufacturers' lines, Rio's floating lines just happen to be my personal favorite for trout fishing.

Here goes, concernig line tapers... if you are an intermediate fly fisher I would suggest the Rio "Gold" which is available in only an extended weight forward taper; and, if you are advanced then I suggest the Rio "Trout LT" in a Double Taper. If you are intermediate, and want to be advanced, still buy the "Gold"...you will know when, if ever, you need the "Trout LT". Generally, the intermediate caster will have far more to do with the "light presentation" occuring than the fly line.

Good Luck & Enjoy!

Bob

Bob,
Thanks for the input. I plan on a 3 wt line, my concern is double taper versus weight forward. This is a fairly "Willowy" rod; it reminds me of my old Fenwick HMG 6wt. I use my weight forward 5 wt line on this rod and love it, reminds me of my first glass rods. As far as my casting ability, it is a work in progress...sometimes I got the feeling...sometimes I struggle. Maybe my solution is a second spool so I can use both...won't that make my wife happy....

Rich Morrison
03-13-2014, 06:27 AM
I'd add another vote for Rio LT lines. Very nice for the situations and rod action you describe. I like the LT WF lines myself - I've never been a DT fan.