PDA

View Full Version : Swinging two flies for Steelhead?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-09-2014, 06:56 PM
Many years ago when Craig Ziegler lived here in Sacramento he would swing two flies for steelhead.

When fishing steelhead with my friend and top fly fisher/guide/instructor/tackle developer Mike McCune we fished two flies.

He uses a larger standard steelhead wet fly first and then put a couple feet of tippet off that fly to a smaller fly.

Just today at the new shop I was talking with serious fly fishers Rich Plath, Mark Krandhold and Andy Guibord.

They are swinging two flies for steelhead and trout in local river right now.

As the valley rivers clean up from recent rains, it will be caddis time in Nor Cal.

Nate Bailey
03-13-2014, 06:25 AM
Many years ago when Craig Ziegler lived here in Sacramento he would swing two flies for steelhead.

When fishing steelhead with my friend and top fly fisher/guide/instructor/tackle developer Mike McCune we fished two flies.

He uses a larger standard steelhead wet fly first and then put a couple feet of tippet off that fly to a smaller fly.

Just today at the new shop I was talking with serious fly fishers Rich Plath, Mark Krandhold and Andy Guibord.

They are swinging two flies for steelhead and trout in local river right now.

As the valley rivers clean up from recent rains, it will be caddis time in Nor Cal.

My grandfather always used 2 flies and sometimes 3. That's how all the wet fly fishermen did it back then. I still do it on occasion. In September I'll riffle hitch th first and lead the second.