PDA

View Full Version : California State Record Saltwater Fish.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-09-2014, 08:53 AM
https://www.dfg.ca.gov/marine/anglingrecords.asp

It shows the largest sport caught of each CA SW species, plus who caught it, where and when.

Always fun to see.......

Larry S
03-09-2014, 05:59 PM
Bill,
I have a problem with a few of these "records." There is an Oceanside tackle shop that has a surf perch tournament
every March. This is right about the time when the live-bearing barred surf perch are dropping their babies.
We're talking upwards of 100 babies which add considerably to the female's weight. IMHO, many of the perch that are kept for the
weighing-in process are, in fact, pregnant. Lots of fish kill here when you think about it. Catch and release even in the salt,
unless it's for the table.
Best,
Larry S

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-09-2014, 06:10 PM
They should have a short closure for those berthing fish.

Larry S
03-09-2014, 06:41 PM
Bill,
Agree with you. When I've complained to the tackle shop owner and the outdoor writer for the
SD Union-Trib, they dismiss me as if it isn't a big deal.
Best,
Larry S

tommylee
03-10-2014, 10:46 AM
It is a sad fact the Barred Surfperch does not seem to get much respect from the DFG and others. Our local perch tournament did change the rules to the one biggest fish caught, killed and weighed from the biggest five fish total a few years ago, a step towards catch and release of at least the smaller fish. The tournament here is Santa Cruz was last Saturday so it also coincides with the big females giving birth.