PDA

View Full Version : Hal Janssen will be at the Delta Fly Fishers meeting March 12, 2014

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-06-2014, 08:46 PM
Hal will be the guest speaker for March 12 at 6:30 at John R Williams School, 2450 Meadow Ave. Stockton CA.

Hal will do a fly tying demo at 6:30 and his Stillwater presentation at 7:30.

Guest are welcome..........

Troutstalker55B
03-06-2014, 10:06 PM
Must see presentation! My favorite line from his show is; "The indicator is the Devil, you don't own it....It owns you"!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-07-2014, 09:35 AM
Thanks Jon

I met Hal above Watt Avenue on the Lower American River in the fall around 1970.

I was trying to catch a steelhead on a fly.

He was way ahead of the pack, even back then.

I was using a 9 weight fiberglass fly rod with a #6 Silver Hilton.

Hal was using a #3 weight rod, intermediate line, with a small caddis pupa.....and catching fish.

He saw I needed help so he looked at my stuff and said "What are you after, tuna?"

The next day I came out with my 5 weight trout outfit and a caddis pupa.......and caught my first Half-pounders!

Hal is still so far ahead of the pack that it kind of shocks people. Trust me, he is for real......

Get a copy of his new book.

Troutstalker55B
03-07-2014, 10:31 PM
Hal is still so far ahead of the pack that it kind of shocks people. Trust me, he is for real......

Get a copy of his new book.

He did just that at our GCFF meeting last month, the look from the audience was a deer in the headlights reaction. Thanks for sharing Bill, I love to hear about those "back in the day stories".

Doug O
03-11-2014, 12:46 PM
Bill, Thanks for the post. As you know Hal is a unique angler. His contributions to the sport of fly fishing are enormous! He will be joining me this summer at one of my 5 DOT Clinics, here is more info. Thanks.

5 DOT DAMSEL CLINIC with Hal Janssen

On July 4,5, & 6 “Hall of Fame” Fly Fisher and author of “Stillwater Fly-Fishing Secrets” Hal Janssen will join Doug Ouellette , Dave Stanley, and Ernie Gulley for a comprehensive in depth look at the “Damsel Fly”. Hal will share his “Stillwater Secrets” in this 2 1/2 day event. Come and see Hal’s book come to life! In this clinic we will teach advanced “hand” retrieves, proper leader construction, fly patterns, and presentations. Along with this we will also cover fish mannerisms and feeding behavior. This is a “hands on” clinic with lots of personal instruction. This clinic should prove to be truly EPIC ! This is your chance to “unlock” the secrets to the damsel fly!
Don’t wait for it will book quickly! Spots are limited. The price for this 2 1/2 day event is only $495.00.
Contact Doug Ouellette at calvadaflyfishing@sbcglobal.net or call (775) 722-2267.

Troutstalker55B
03-11-2014, 01:42 PM
Awesome Doug! You should fill that quickly and how fortunate for the participants to get a chance to learn from a legend. Good luck to you guys! - J.