PDA

View Full Version : Increased flows in American River

Cmcculloch
03-05-2014, 05:29 PM
From the BEE - Flows to increase in Sacramento’s American River, http://m.sacbee.com/sacramento/db_98822/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=5fvUqptG

Called a pulse to to help Salmon spawn.

SeanO
03-05-2014, 07:48 PM
Interesting, but how effective will a 24 hour increase be?

Best,

STEELIES/26c3
03-06-2014, 09:12 AM
Interesting, but how effective will a 24 hour increase be?

Best,

I spoke yesterday with several guys from CDFW and USFWS who were monitoring the fyke traps and taking some measurements at Watt Ave.

They confirmed that this 'spike flow' increase was experimental... so even the powers that be are not really sure of the answer to your question...

My take is:

The naturally spawned fall run king smolts from last year (salmon currently in the river which are 6-8") will perhaps be nudged towards the delta yet that may or may not increase their chances of future emigration and escapement

The fry (from this year measuring 1-2 inches) which were stranded in pools (as eggs or alevin) when the water dropped (and subsequently managed to evade predators) will definitely benefit as they'll be returned to the main river channel where they stand a much better chance of not eventually drying up....

But take that for what it's worth as I'm not a paid scientist... I'm just a river bum hahaha