PDA

View Full Version : Lower Sac - Access Question

Dragking
03-05-2014, 02:22 PM
My buddy who's new to fly fishing is flying in for a session on the Lower Sac this weekend, and I am having trouble putting together a float of the right length. Specifically, I think we are relegated to the upper sections of the river because the creeks are muddying up the river below Bonnyview, but I think Posse to Bonny is a little lame for a full day float. Also, given the flows and that my buddy will require some instruction, rerigging after tangles, etc., I think Posse to Anderson is too ambitious. I was hoping to take out at one of the RV parks upstream of Anderson (we are in a 12 ft pontoon boat that doesnt require a trailer/improved boat ramp), but the RV parks are being weird.

Here's my question: will I be able to pull my boat out at the Cypress bridge? (It looks like there's dirt road access and a gravel bar on the W/SW side of the river under the bridge.) If this is possible, I am thinking we would do Posse to Bonny, and then, depending on the time and how things went, either Posse to Cypress or Cypress to Bonny for a quick coctail float. Thoughts?

If the Cypress take out/put-in is not possible, does anyone have any other bright ideas?

Thanks!

dude02
03-05-2014, 03:56 PM
There is no dirt road at Cypress. You could pull out on the southwest side of the bridge, but you would have to drag your toon up to Park Marina and likely park in the retail center across the street as there is no safe place to park directly on Park Marina. There is a small dirt spot on the northwest corner of the bridge where you could park and not deal with crossing the road. You have to go up large rocks that are used as erosion control. The water is calm enough to hit the NW/C of the bridge. This is also a bum camp area that I would not want to deal with.

The simplest thing to do is go Posse to Park Marina for run number two. Or Park Marina to Bonny depending on how it fishes the first time through. The Park Marina ramp is immediately north of 2515 Park Marina Drive if you have not used it before.

Ben Kobrin
03-05-2014, 03:58 PM
Go Posse to Bonny and then Posse to Aqua Golf. That has worked out well for me on the days that I really want to thoroughly cover the water down to Bonny and then have a little extra time. If you're running your own shuttle it also gives you the ability to slow way down if you find lots of fish and just make the Posse to Bonny run an all day float (which it easily can be with these flows and if you get into good numbers of fish). When you aren't finding fish then the river can never be long enough! Good luck!

-Ben

Dragking
03-05-2014, 04:15 PM
Thanks, guys. Very helpful. I assume AquaGolf is private and requires some sort of clearance. Is that right? Is the Park Marina Ramp public?

Ben Kobrin
03-05-2014, 04:31 PM
Thanks, guys. Very helpful. I assume AquaGolf is private and requires some sort of clearance. Is that right? Is the Park Marina Ramp public?

Aqua Golf and Park Marina are the same place, sorry for the confusion. Public ramp with good parking.

-Ben

dude02
03-05-2014, 05:34 PM
If you type in the address I gave above into google maps and click on the aerial view you can see the ramp and the parking lot with a truck and drift boat trailer. The ramp is behind a chain link gate that is unlocked, just close it behind you.