PDA

View Full Version : Sun valley trip report

steveg137
03-03-2014, 07:20 PM
Had 2 days this weekend and opted to try big lost river. Hadn't fished it before but Chris in silver creek outfitters recommended it.

Very happy made the 2 hr trip. Had some good action first day on nymphs but had really superb day the next day. Midges nymphs and dries size 18-20. Fish were really nice size, lots sight fishing too. And had whole stretch to myself. Doesn't get any better than that for me really, sight fishing in beautiful place.

On way back on sat had 4 hr journey back in the snow as I followed my gps not realizing mountain pass road was closed. Painful trip. Decided to suck it up and go back on the Sunday and happy u did.

Made me wish there were some other options in nor cal for dry fly and non indicator stuff seem to do most of the time. I need to try hot creek. Typically I only get serious dry action on manzanita.

Few bad photos attached.

Cheers steve

Mike O
03-03-2014, 11:06 PM
Lower Lower Hat Creek kicks but on dries in late May, Early June...may be earlier this year

Rick J
03-04-2014, 07:47 AM
Very nice!!! Big Lost is a great fishery. Or group has been going back to fish Silver Creek for the last 30 years and make periodic trips to the Big Lost. Silver Creek is undergoing some major channel restoration this year - will be interesting to see how this changes things

steveg137
03-04-2014, 01:12 PM
Rick yes took a look at silver restoration. The guys seem to be very happy with progress which is promising.

What time of year do you head up there?

Guys were telling me some of the smaller stream fish great too at certain points of year.

We couldn't fly out sv yday and drove to Boise today to make sure get back to work, love to have kicked the job to the kerb and stayed here but got 20 years before that's going happen !

Rick J
03-05-2014, 06:32 AM
normally head over to SC in early August as tricos are my favorite.

A few years ago a group of us headed over to fish spring steelies on the Salmon and stopped at Big Lost for a day in April and I had one of my greatest days ever on dries - small Baetis hatch was going much of the day and it was amazing - must have had well over 20 fish - many in the high teen range! On the other hand, the steelhead fishing sucked!!!!

steveg137
03-05-2014, 08:04 AM
Rick, tricos sounds great as do the baetis. I had 20 fish day on pupa and dries the other day and had the place to myself, wonderful!

Pimpinmeat
03-05-2014, 10:38 AM
Love that area, Big Wood is also a great little river this time of you if the snow isn't bad. I've caught some nice browns on the Big Lost river. Silver Creek owns me, tough place to fish.