PDA

View Full Version : Flows cfm higher upstream than down stream?

Willisbrow
02-27-2014, 11:47 PM
There has to be something I'm missing...
The flows right now on the SF eel @ leggett are 2030 and the flows @ miranda are 1,810.
Leggett is upstream of miranda so wouldn't miranda have a higher cfm??
If someone understands why an upstream gauge has a higher cfm than a lower down gauge?
Does this happen every time the river raised a good amount??
Can someone explain this to me.

Rick J
02-28-2014, 06:46 AM
Likely the brunt of the storm hit south even upstream of Legget - it takes time for high flows to travel downriver so Legget got the rain with not much at Miranda - but if you look now all is right with the world!

golfish
02-28-2014, 05:15 PM
I've noticed the same thing before, just a lead/lag effect of the water making its way downstream? Higher rain fall high up in the mountains as they squeeze more moisture out of the front?

DAVID95670
03-01-2014, 07:51 AM
Water runs down stream? The things you learn on this forum. And I guess is water is capable of running down from the tops of mountains and accumulating as it falls in elevation?

The modern era is impressive indeed.

BobVP
03-01-2014, 08:57 AM
Bah! It is not that "lag effect" or other scientific nonsense....It's the pot farmers sucking water out while they can to store it for this year's crop....dozens and dozens or 2" lines sucking from Legget to Redway....storing it in 3-5,000 gallon tanks then turning on their diesel generators and pumps (with the illegal diesel tanks leaking into the side streams) and pumping it up to the gardens on the mountain top they've denuded with dioxin.....all so some 20 year old can get high....Oh, sorry, so some poor older lady with glaucoma can get some relief.

What do you mean...I woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning?

golfish
03-01-2014, 09:45 AM
Water runs down stream? The things you learn on this forum. And I guess is water is capable of running down from the tops of mountains and accumulating as it falls in elevation?

The modern era is impressive indeed.

ROFL!!!!!!!

Randy Lee
03-01-2014, 09:48 AM
BobVP,
Bro, Your harshing my mello! Chill down a thousand.
LOL, your probably dead on with your assessment.
Randy

Mark Kranhold
03-01-2014, 09:50 AM
Good one Bob! Those are hemp farms for sustainable Eco friendly materials such as rope, paper and fabrics. :cool:

DAVID95670
03-01-2014, 10:41 AM
There is no way that farmers sucking water out with 6 inch hoses would cause this effect. that is even more ridiculous.

simple water accumulation over a drainage basin

why not take a second to think how i can say it is not pot farmers sucking water out?

scientific process and problem solving it is amazing to try out

BobVP
03-01-2014, 06:31 PM
Er, ah...David....I was just joking. I actually do understand flow rates and hydrology and strongly believe in the strength of science. I also, unfortunate as it may be to my friends and acquaintances, believe in the power of humor. Sorry to have caught you off guard. No offense meant.

Larry S
03-01-2014, 06:40 PM
BobVP,
Good one! You should have saved that one for 4-1-14.
Best to you and yours,
Larry S