PDA

View Full Version : Sand Flea is still in Holbox, MX

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-27-2014, 11:02 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JT3xddFAAWk

Mr Tarpon

After 24 years guiding for Tarpon, Bonefish, Permit (and anything else with fins) - Isla Holbox guide Alejandro "Sandflea" Vega Cruz (Holbox Tarpon Club) is eager to spend the last day of 2013 doing what he loves most... chasing tarpon on the fly. What a great way to end the year - here's to the next 25, amigo! Shot and produced by Beattie Outdoor Productions

Many of us fished with him......

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-27-2014, 11:12 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjhNiFUKKk4#t=15

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-28-2014, 06:22 AM
This is one of my favorite places....Isla Blanca.......north of Cancun.

Tony Buzolich
02-28-2014, 07:14 AM
I fished with Sand Flea at Isla Holbox almost twenty years ago. Jason Lozano was with us on that trip too. Great trip with lots of baby tarpon, and lots of mosquitos too. Took several snook in the mangroves as well but no bones. Sand flea said the locals had netted them all out of the area.

One day we fished on a jetty at a river mouth miles from camp and I slipped and crushed the front of my leg between some coral blocks and got stuck. Jason, Sand Flea and the others carried me back to the panga and wrapped my leg with cold soda and beer cans as we had no ice. Three days later we were scheduled to go home so I stayed and fished with a wrapped leg and lots of Tylenol and cervesas to calm the pain :)

At the Fly Film Festival Wednesday night one of the movies featured Sand Flea fishing in Alaska. Invited by the producers and guides to come along on the trip they had him fishing trout and grayling with mouse patterns. A far cry from his home waters:)
Tony

JWilli
02-28-2014, 05:12 PM
I fished with Alejandro last year. It was not only my best salt water fly fishing experience, but I landed my first tarpon on my first cast. It was only a 17 lber, but it was the beginning of a great trip. Alejandro has a great sense of humor; this keeps the experience fun. I would think that he is one of the best guides in the area, but I have no other comparisons.
I hope To get back to Holbox this year with Mr. Sand Flea.

John