PDA

View Full Version : How wolves Changed Rivers

BobVP
02-22-2014, 08:23 AM
Not sure if this shouldn't be in the Conservation section.

Just a short video that I found interesting.

http://dailygarlic.com/picture/this-is-amazing-how-wolves-change-rivers-33796

Frank Alessio
02-22-2014, 09:29 AM
If you believe that Crap you have been Brainwashed....That is fine if you like seeing Eagles and no elk...Personally I like the Elk and the Deer....By the way they have not moved they have been eaten by the reintroduced wolf that was not even the same type of wolf that was in the park originally...We need more films like this maybe Al Gore and Michael Moore will chip in.....Popcorn time....

Bob Loblaw
02-22-2014, 10:05 AM
Thanks for starting another forum shitfest, I hope you have plenty of popcorn. I was in the Lamar Valley in Yellowstone a few years ago and watched a wolf pack move along the river pushing an elk herd in front of it. It was pretty cool to watch.

We know ecosystems are just that, systems. When you remove the apex predator it has impacts all through the system. We know that herds of grazing cattle are bad for trout streams, it is fairly logical to assume then that stationary herds of grazing elk would be too.

There are still plenty of elk and deer in Yellowstone. IN fact they are much easier to see than ever because they are holding up close to human developments knowing that the wolves will not follow them there. Go to the Roosevelt Gate and you'll see monster elk laying around on the lawns.

Its not brainwashing its science. Brainwashing is when people are programmed to believe something that isn't true or fact based. Like those people who believe we can keep treating the planet like a garbage can, dumping all our crap into the air, the ocean and our rivers and it has no impact, no effect on the planets systems, most notably its climate. Brainwashing is when someone is presented with research based evidence and calls it "crap" because it conflicts with what they have been programmed to believe.

if you like to look at tame elk lounging around, completely unafraid of anything, in completely unnatural circumstances because there are no predators, I recommend the zoo. Or go to Yellowstone where you can see truly wild elk, they haven't all been eaten.

If you don't believe me, I can give you the number of the guide I used when I fished the Lamar River and he can tell you how much better the rive and all the Yellowstone rivers have become since the wolves were brought back.

Enjoy your popcorn.

Ed Wahl
02-22-2014, 10:41 AM
That video was a little on the "touchy feely" side, but one quick google search turned up this.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2003/10/031029064909.htm

Ed

Frank Alessio
02-22-2014, 11:33 AM
I will bet a Bag of Popcorn that the Fishing guide would not get too much agreement from the Hunting Guides....Or the Ranchers that carve out a living in the area...But Hearing those wolves gives the Visitor that fuzzy Feeling and that is what really counts right....

Bob Loblaw
02-22-2014, 12:07 PM
I will bet a Bag of Popcorn that the Fishing guide would not get too much agreement from the Hunting Guides....Or the Ranchers that carve out a living in the area...But Hearing those wolves gives the Visitor that fuzzy Feeling and that is what really counts right....

No giving a tourist hunter a fuzzy feeling from killing a semi tame elk is what counts.

Bob G
02-22-2014, 12:32 PM
This reminds me..."Never wrestle with a Pig, because you both get muddy, and the Pig enjoys it!"

Frank Alessio
02-22-2014, 05:18 PM
Catch and Release Wild Elk....That will make a Great License plate frame....Thanks

Larry S
02-22-2014, 06:29 PM
Bob(s),
A quote from Robert Heinlein: Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig.

Can we agree that feral pigs are bad?
Best to all,
Larry S

TonyMuljat
02-22-2014, 07:29 PM
Bob(s),
A quote from Robert Heinlein: Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig.

Can we agree that feral pigs are bad?
Best to all,
Larry S

Larry, what did those feral pigs ever do to you?;)

Bob G
02-22-2014, 08:03 PM
Larry -

I like yours too...

Bob

Mike O
02-22-2014, 08:03 PM
Why not? Feral stripers seem to be bad...