PDA

View Full Version : Idylwilde and the Jimmy Leggs?

cyama
02-20-2014, 10:36 PM
Does anyone know if Idyllwilde is back at producing flies? My stockpile of Jimmy leggs is about depleted. They are a pain to tie and are probably the most effective fly out there, well besides soft hackles. Many shops call their flies Jimmy Leggs, but they are just the regular Pats Rubberlegs. I think the knots make a big difference. Does Kienes Fishwest have any size 8 Jimmy Leggs?

JD
02-21-2014, 12:45 AM
Actually they are a dirt simple tie, all you need is a tool to knot the legs (same one used to knot PT, although tweezers, forceps and hackle pliers work as well). Lot's of youtube videos of reasonable clarity if you need a step by step. Fly Shop in Redding carried them for a time, although most still prefer a Pat's Rubberlegs, but you might try there if Fishwest doesn't have them.

DAVID95670
02-21-2014, 07:16 AM
Actually they are a dirt simple tie, all you need is a tool to knot the legs (same one used to knot PT, although tweezers, forceps and hackle pliers work as well). Lot's of youtube videos of reasonable clarity if you need a step by step. Fly Shop in Redding carried them for a time, although most still prefer a Pat's Rubberlegs, but you might try there if Fishwest doesn't have them.

What tool?

JD
02-21-2014, 02:39 PM
What tool?

Was afraid someone was going to ask. It is one of those hooks with a catch on it, such as they sold for making braided loops. According to Amazon, they are variously called "latch hook" or "loop turner" among other things I imagine, and at one time were sold by some shops for knotting pheasant tail legs. Anything that allows you to make a half-hitch in superfloss would work. Check youtube for the Davie McPhail video on knotting PT, same process. I liked leaving the legs long and then knotting afterwards, until I gave up with that step altogether. YMMV.

Mike O
02-21-2014, 10:15 PM
Like this one. Similar to the rug hooks. I use a bobbin threader

Terry Thomas
02-22-2014, 10:41 AM
We are just going to carry Pat's Rubberlegs in three color combos and two sizes each. IMHO, the knot in the legs of the JL pattern is more for the angler than the fish.
We can always special order flies. Trout patterns by the the dozen...same size and color. Delivery time normally runs @10 days.

bigfly
02-22-2014, 12:38 PM
Around here........the more everyone uses a fly, the less it works on fish. Go figure....
A good reason to tie your own, and vary it from store style.
I still fish store-bought (like a Pat's), but will "alter them"....including Burk's patterns. Andy Knows this....and wasn't mad....
If you look at the stone nymphs, the legs are short.....and they arch opposite to normal ties.
And as Andy used to admonish me while tying, most flies are tied to catch fishermen.....although some work on fish too.

Jim

cyama
03-06-2014, 09:39 PM
I never replied to all this because I ordered some "Jimmy Leggs" from a shop down south. It is funny they sent me Pat's Rubber Leggs with knots tied into them.... Some guy in the shop must tied some 75 knots to fill the order? Subtle differences in flies do make a difference, otherwise we would all be using pheasant tails, hares ears and Kaufmanns golden stones. Canadian tuxedos and G3s work on the Truckee. Mercer's flies work on the lower sac and flies you come up with that are in between will catch you more fish. Some flies are easy to tie, but if they take more than a few minutes I will pay a few bucks...

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-07-2014, 09:24 AM
This is a great post that shows you why this is such a fun sport.

Nobody agrees on things, just like in a guide group or fishing lodge or fly shop staff.

It keeps us guessing........

PS: I hope many of you can fish more in 2014.