PDA

View Full Version : Is the “soul” of fly-fishing being sacrificed?

bonneville54
02-20-2014, 02:00 PM
There is an interesting article in the December issue of Angling Trade that intrigued me. The article was about growth in the industry and whether the "soul" of the sport is being sacrificed in pursuit of that growth. Of course, when discussing that indefinable and personable thing called soul, one is always treading on thin ice, but there were a few points I’d love to hear some opinions on – particularly from those on this board active in the industry.

One of the guides quoted said that he has seen the focus shift from the experience of fishing to simply catching fish. Additionally he explained, the fly fishing learning curve has been shortened. Anglers used to have to master the cast, presentation, hatches and so on. Since the advent of strike indicators, he says, we've taken the need to learn to cast out if the equation.

“Today as an industry we've simplified the sport….dumbed it down to convert more participants more easily…” What takes place on rivers today, resembles little of what attracted people to the sport 20 years ago…that is, something along the lines of the simple beauty of casting a fly rod with some level of proficiency, the article posits.

So…a few questions for those of you in the industry (guides and fly shop folks in particular)

1) Has the sport changed as dramatically as inferred in the article? Is it a “dumber” activity than it used to be? Are your clients less skilled as fisherman than they used to be? Are strike indicators the spawn of the devil? ( I threw that one in there)

2) Does it matter? Is there any danger at all here? In fact, might these changes, in fact, be good for the sport?

Thoughts?

Darian
02-20-2014, 02:30 PM
As a person formerly involved (many years in the past), I don't think the industry is in any danger of going away. Many of us older practitioners will be gone, tho. The industry has and will continue to change and, IMO, that's a good thing.

As to whether we've dumbed down the sport, I'd say there's still all of the historical information out there for anyone who cares to make use of it. There's casting instruction available nearly everywhere and modern equipment is superb, making it's use easy (provided you don't try to exceed your knowledge/skill levels).

Fly tying is particularly interesting to me. Modern materials used on their own or combined with traditional materials produce amazing creations for any type of fishing. The choices in vises have increased in number and quality.

The only problem I see with all of this is the mystique surrounding the "art of fly fishing." To me, fly fishing is nothing more than another delivery system to put a bait/fly/lure in front of a fish; once you've learned to cast, all the rest is the same as learning any craft. Sure, the take is more important to me than the catching/landing but that's only from the standpoint of enjoying watching the "boil" or feeling the "tug" and knowing that I created something that fooled the fish. Only in the world of journalism and fly fishing are we able to discuss whether fly fishing has lost it's soul....

Ever hear of Mazlou's Basic Needs hierarchy???

TonyMuljat
02-20-2014, 04:18 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CeNJGMly28&list=PLvr_zGFYWiaLMhS_wXvKMR8CQDWGvTCeM

Scott V
02-20-2014, 04:21 PM
For some it is about nothing more than catching a fish. For me it is about being one with nature. If I catch a fish that is just an added bonus. I am way past the "I have to catch a fish to be happy" stage. My biggest joy now is showing others how to catch fish then watching them catch fish on their own.

Ryan
02-20-2014, 06:41 PM
Tony: Great post for this subject! I really like the videos caption, and see the relevance for this thread...
"Traditionally, golfers are afraid of change. Traditionally, that's ridiculous."

Question for all you who have been fishing before shooting heads came out... When they were first created, did people look at them as a non purist type of fly fishing (The same way many perceive indicators today)? This is a legitimate question of mine to those of you who know. But it does make sense to me that we would have had critics back in the day when people began transitioning to shooting heads from more traditional floating lines. Yet shooting heads have revolutionized and set the standard for steelhead, stripers, and salmon now a days. They're an acceptable norm by even the most elite in the industry, and have created so many more possibilities for a successful trip. Although I just made a comparison between indicators and one of the more respected types of fishing today(shooting heads), not looking for a debate over the legitimacy of indicators, rather I would like to know if people criticized shooting heads when they came out, to see if my theory holds any ground or not. Being 25, I'm pretty sure shooting heads came out before I was even born, so I really have no idea.

I also believe that different rivers, different times of year, different flows, different species, different temperatures, different hatches, dictate different tactics. I challenge anyone to find me a succesfull Putah local who exclusively fishes dries! Maybe your out there but I've never met you! Nymphing is what catches the big fish most effectively on Putah by a long shot, therefore we find 99% of people nymphing there. I think if one were to exclusively fish dries on Putah, they would be shorting themselves on all the wonders Putah has to offer, and shorting themselves on a good life experience. However on coastal rivers, fish seem more prone to take a swung fly, and the rivers simply have better swinging runs, so you will find more people swinging. Furthermore, rivers like spring creeks that have epic dry fly fishing (Such as the Fall or Hot Creek) will have way more people fishing dries because dries can be very productive. I personally wouldn't nymph all day long if they're only eating on the surface nor would I fish a dry all day long if I haven't seen a single rise, or had any takes. I can get that some just like to practice casting, but I want to feel a pull of a fish!

Also a little relevant: The film/documentary "Low and Clear" did a good job at putting into perspective the fact that everyone has their own unique reasons for pursuing fish on the fly. Everybody is in search of something different out there. Some might fly fish for a status/ego deal (although we never admit that), others might go for the craving/addiction of an epic fight, others to meditate, relieve stress, make a living, and you know there's every reason in-between. Seems like the definition of the "soul" of fly fishing would vary from person to person. I do agree very much however that when doing the type of fishing like throwing an indicator from a drift boat definitely knocks a lot of time off the learning curve (or maybe not even takes time off the learning curve, but it almost always gets people into fish quicker). That can be taken as a positive or negative depending on the person.

Ralph
02-20-2014, 07:17 PM
The soul got knocked out of rock climbing when "sport climbing" became established. The soul got knocked out of mt. biking when shocks were invented. The soul got knocked out of archery with the compound bow. And the soul got knocked out of fly fishing when we stopped making only upstream casts to rising trout. I lived through the first three examples and can empathize. Until I stop drifting minnows and tossing hardware, I can't make much of a damning statement about the friggin' "soul" of fly fishing.

Darian
02-20-2014, 07:56 PM
Ryan,.... Shooting heads have been around for a long time. I bought/used my first in the middle 50's with a head that was produced in France intended for use on an open face spinning reel. It was stripped off the spool and held on the index finger, then false cast/lobbed to finish the cast. Needless to say it didn't last long. Of course, many old timers (older than me) were using them on the north coast by cutting full lines and making up custom heads many years prior to that.

In answer to your question, of course some folks looked down on using shooting heads as you would expect. People everywhere initially resist change regardless of the subject matter.

Jimmie
02-20-2014, 08:35 PM
I think the "SOUL" of fly fishing is what YOU make it. I care about what it means to ME.... To each his own....

bigfly
02-21-2014, 11:00 AM
I think about the arc of my fly career...Dry fly up-stream, to bobber master, to swinging the big stick.
Went from consumer style, as a beginner,(more is better), to not even needing to catch one to enjoy a walk on the water.
For me, the "soul" of fly fishing is fine.....
But I think hatcheries have increased the numbers of fish, and have created a decline in appreciation and skill.....it's just too easy.
Stupid fish do not make us good fishermen, only temporarily satisfied consumers...
The water is not a 7-11 open all the time for our benefit. To me, it should be tough-going to get full value.
Guides often face the task of trying to get someone to cast and drift properly, who really doesn't want to learn.
They merely want the fish they "paid for".
This attitude is a reflected in everything we do.....Quantity over quality....
The Truckee has a higher bar setting to succeed, and so is less popular with consumers. We like that!!!!
My favorite trip is the guy who is just happy standing in a river, and then.....we catch a fish!
Maybe I'm lucky, but most of my clients still feel this way....
When it gets so that most don't.......I'll move on.

Wait a minute......did Ralph say "drift a minnow"?

Jim

Nor*Cal
02-21-2014, 11:27 AM
There is an interesting article in the December issue of Angling Trade that intrigued me. The article was about growth in the industry and whether the "soul" of the sport is being sacrificed in pursuit of that growth. Of course, when discussing that indefinable and personable thing called soul, one is always treading on thin ice, but there were a few points I’d love to hear some opinions on – particularly from those on this board active in the industry.

One of the guides quoted said that he has seen the focus shift from the experience of fishing to simply catching fish. Additionally he explained, the fly fishing learning curve has been shortened. Anglers used to have to master the cast, presentation, hatches and so on. Since the advent of strike indicators, he says, we've taken the need to learn to cast out if the equation.

“Today as an industry we've simplified the sport….dumbed it down to convert more participants more easily…” What takes place on rivers today, resembles little of what attracted people to the sport 20 years ago…that is, something along the lines of the simple beauty of casting a fly rod with some level of proficiency, the article posits.

So…a few questions for those of you in the industry (guides and fly shop folks in particular)

1) Has the sport changed as dramatically as inferred in the article? Is it a “dumber” activity than it used to be? Are your clients less skilled as fisherman than they used to be? Are strike indicators the spawn of the devil? ( I threw that one in there)

2) Does it matter? Is there any danger at all here? In fact, might these changes, in fact, be good for the sport?

Thoughts?

Also a little relevant: The film/documentary "Low and Clear" did a good job at putting into perspective the fact that everyone has their own unique reasons for pursuing fish on the fly. Everybody is in search of something different out there. Some might fly fish for a status/ego deal (although we never admit that), others might go for the craving/addiction of an epic fight, others to meditate, relieve stress, make a living, and you know there's every reason in-between. Seems like the definition of the "soul" of fly fishing would vary from person to person. I do agree very much however that when doing the type of fishing like throwing an indicator from a drift boat definitely knocks a lot of time off the learning curve (or maybe not even takes time off the learning curve, but it almost always gets people into fish quicker). That can be taken as a positive or negative depending on the person.

I watched the movie Low and clear A few days ago and that is exactly what came to mind when I was reading all of this. I know this was intended more for guides, but as a fairly new fly fisherman (probably the newest in these boards), I figured I would ask questions and contribute my 2 cents. .
1. My Questions.
#1. Is there a link to this article, I would love to read it!
#2. What exactly IS the “soul of fly fishing?” At some point did everybody agree to ONE soul of fly fishing?

2. My two cents.
I learned to fly fish with my buddy mark who is older than me. When he taught me about fly fishing he also took the time to tell me about etiquette, compare regular fishing to fly fishing and share various concepts about fly fishing. The part that I contributed was a wonder and awe for the sport. I was the one that viewed it as an art form instead of just another way to catch fish. I don’t know if there is a way to teach “soul,” wonder or awe for the sport. I think that is either in the heart of the fisherman or it isn’t. Best you can do is take somebody who desires to learn down to a beautiful canyon carved by a pristine creek, teach them how to cast and tie a fly and then leave them alone to experience fly fishing and hope they come to the conclusion that they are part of the masterpiece we call fly fishing.

bigfly
02-21-2014, 11:50 AM
Juan, speaking for myself....
The soul of this activity resides in a natural Eco-system, that we can learn over time.
I enjoy the challenge of predicting a fishes behavior, or an insects timing....
To stand at the center of the circle of life and understand where we stand......
And then throw a perfect cast to perfect fish of course.:cool:

Ed Wahl
02-21-2014, 05:38 PM
I have 2 nephews, both in their mid teens now who fly fish. They also have friends that they can show fly fishing to. As long as there are kids out there trying to figure out how to make this stuff work to catch fish the soul of fly fishing is alive and well. What we oldsters do has no bearing on it at all. Think back to when you all started, that magic is still there and will be for as long as we have fish and insects.
Ed

Darian
02-21-2014, 09:09 PM
Almost all of the responses to the question make reference to fly fishing for Trout in freshwater and the surroundings involved. All of these things are great on their own. However, Fly fishing has a greater breadth as a subject area. It includes fly fishing in warm water, salt water, rivers, estuaries, lakes, reefs, surf, open ocean, etc., ad nauseum. Maybe the question should've been narrowed to reflect the question including the context of the article....(??)

Mike O
02-21-2014, 09:55 PM
Don't understand the comparison of how indicator fishing has stopped people from matching the hatch...one still has better luck matching the hatch if using the proper bug, no? It just made it a little easier...by reminding us of how we fished before we fly fished.

And I agree with Jimmie. Souls are individual...

bonneville54
02-22-2014, 07:11 AM
I wondered whether I should have used the word soul in my original post- although it was used in the article mentioned - when asking the question(s). I wasn't really asking if such a thing, an immortal essence, if you will, exists in the activity or in any inanimate object, for that matter. That, perhaps, is a discussion better suited to a campfire, single malt and a starry night.

Might we all agree, to a certain extent anyway, that in fly-fishing (as in many other sports or activities) there exists a traditional aesthetic? This aesthetic might include physical skills that take time and practice to develop, like the cast…but intellectual skills too, like reading the water, understanding a bit of entomology and aquatic life and an appreciation of the outdoors. Of course, none of these are exclusive to fly-fishing and there may be other aspects of the sport one could include in the idea of a traditional aesthetic.

The article then asks – within the idea of “growth in the industry” – Is there a danger that this aesthetic is being lost in the simple quest for numbers of fish caught? The guide quoted in the article uses the strike indicator as an example of the “dumbing down” of the sport, implying its use has allowed fly-fisherman to catch greater numbers of fish, but at the cost of some of the traditional skills - the cast, for example. Additionally, the article implies, this quest for the number of fish caught may discourage an appreciation for the more emotional aspects of the sport – a sense of wonder of the outdoors and so on.

After reading the article, I wondered if those of you “in the industry” felt the same. That is…has the quest for a larger harvest per outing put some of the traditional aspects of the sport in danger? The opinion of those in the article seemed to imply that it has ( and therein lies some danger for growth overall in the industry it implies, but I was less interested in that aspect)

An interesting question? Perhaps not….but what the hell, no harm in asking.

BobVP
02-22-2014, 08:14 AM
I appreciate that there are those that take the time to write/ask these questions which I, sometimes, think about but rarely articulate.

The only "soul" I can be accountable for is my own. That is enough work for anyone...

That part of me that flyfishes started when I was ten years old on a smaller creek in West Marin. For my purposes that is when there started to be any soul to flyfishing as prior to that time it was someone else's habit, sport, credo or obsession, therefore it was a nothing to me as my own soul was not involved.

Fifty one years later I can honestly say that every single time I walk toward the river with a fly rod in hand I am still that 10 year old boy wearing bluejeans and tennis shoes carrying the hand-me-down Union, bamboo rod my oldest brother gave me. I still have the hands that tied on the Black Gnat....I feel the leader, way too large....I have a "muscle memory" of swinging that rod around too fast, trying to find rhythm with speed....I see the first thing I "caught", that willow behind me. It was late in the day when I started and those two hours went quickly and they remain, for me, the soul, my soul connected to fly fishing.

As for you interesting question concerning "the sport" itself: I can only say that any single individual takes full responsibility every time they walk into the river. If they must have the latest, hottest selling rig..if they must catch the most or biggest fish...if they must give up on why they are really there to achieve some other goal then I would say they have given part of their soul to those goals, but the sport itself is simply a way for us humans to connect, soulless or soulfully.

Thanks for asking. How's Peardale?

Darian
02-22-2014, 10:56 AM
BobVP,.... the description of your trip as a 10 year old made me think of the times I fished with my dad back in the 50's on the SoCal coast line. Not Trout or fly fishing but great memories all the same.

The change to an aesthetic attributable to fly fishing makes the original question interesting. IMO, there's definitely a long history/traditional aesthetic associated with fly fishing; there for anyone caring to look into it. Has it been lost or dumbed down?? For me, it hasn't been lost.

In addition to what I mentioned in my original post about the equipment, flies, etc., I still fish (altho not so much for Salmon/Steelhead/Trout any longer) and read about it as often as I can and keep in touch with guys in the industry to ask questions. From that point of view, I'd say that tradition has evolved but the aesthetic has not been lost.

Many guides contribute to the perception that things have been dumbed down by their pursuit of numbers of fish to satisfy their clients who've paid for the trip and expect results. For example, on some rivers guides insist their clients use indicators with specific leader styles and weighted nymphs. That effort promotes/requires the use of the most effective/productive method to catch and photograph fish. Also, it requires little more casting skill of the client than being able to lob the rig to the fish. All of which keeps most everyone happy.

At any rate, I believe that whatever the sport evolves into will become part of the history/tradition of fly fishing and will have its own aesthetic. :cool:

bigfly
02-22-2014, 12:13 PM
At one time, snowboarding was not an Olympic event.
Likewise, oldsters will remember when dry fly was the fishing thing.
Whether you support change or drag feet, sports will change.
I had to learn to bobber fish, to get clients (and me) into fish here.
The T isn't devoid of rising fish, they just might not do it when we get to the water....
I teach all styles of fishing, but know which is most likely to work for clients.
Not just skill wise, but probability too.
Some folks fight it, "they know" what fly fishing is about, and a bobber isn't it.
I don't fight this, figuring it's their day......even if they are likely to blank.
Casting a dry is fun, just by itself....

What really frosts my jaws, is the bead thing....
Clearly these folks don't want to learn the water/bugs, they just want a fish.
On this curve, dynamite is an obvious next choice.
At that point, I think the soul will have left..

Jim

TonyMuljat
02-22-2014, 12:36 PM
At one time, snowboarding was not an Olympic event.
Likewise, oldsters will remember when dry fly was the fishing thing.
Whether you support change or drag feet, sports will change.
I had to learn to bobber fish, to get clients (and me) into fish here.
The T isn't devoid of rising fish, they just might not do it when we get to the water....
I teach all styles of fishing, but know which is most likely to work for clients.
Not just skill wise, but probability too.
Some folks fight it, "they know" what fly fishing is about, and a bobber isn't it.
I don't fight this, figuring it's their day......even if they are likely to blank.
Casting a dry is fun, just by itself....

What really frosts my jaws, is the bead thing....
Clearly these folks don't want to learn the water/bugs, they just want a fish.
On this curve, dynamite is an obvious next choice.
At that point, I think the soul will have left..

Jim

Yes, bobber fishing is not very aesthetic. But I also wonder why they don't make the bobbers more aesthetically pleasing? In reality how is a bright green, red, or yellow bobber any different than the old red and white ones? I recall back in my adolescence, being primarily a gear fisherman, one of the fishing mags had a great article on these really cool bamboo or balsa wood bobbers that had north and south axis on them. They were very aesthetic....

bigfly
02-22-2014, 12:55 PM
I will input, that it takes more technique to get a good bobber drift than a dry drift...and I'm not talking about drift-boat bobber fishing where the guide fixes the drift and can even set for you..
So for me, a bobber is not aesthetic in appearance, but in usage. Some serious subtlety involved believe it or not..
As far as aesthetic indies, how about small ducky bobbers? Maybe it could raise it's tail when we get a take....

By the way, I now refer to indicators, as a presentation platform....my biggest concern after picking a fly, is presenting it correctly in the water column.
Gotta go fish now....

Jim

midger
02-22-2014, 02:17 PM
The "soul" has only left for those who think the "soul" has left and then it's for them alone. Others who enjoy it on their terms are probably still quite happy with it on their terms. I could care less how folks choose to flyfish, but I'm not particularly fond of those who say this or that particular way is the only way to pursue the sport, this or that rod must be used, this type fly must be used, yada, yada, yada. Just get out, breath the air, forget your troubles, and enjoy the moment. No need to analyze it.

JasonB
02-22-2014, 03:32 PM
Plenty of soul in what I do when I am armed with a fly rod, as others have said: it's about far, far more than just catching fish. Don't care too much how others do it, or why. Fly fishing to me is an extremely personal experience, and should be so enjoyed with one's own personal style and "soul".

I had an extremely soulful trip in Oregon last October and wrote a long winded post about it here. Long story short; ended up fishing some gorgeous rivers, revisiting many of my childhood haunts, caught a few steelhead, lost a monster after an epic struggle, etc.... Incredible trip. Topped it off with spending a half day with my young nephew teaching him to cast, search for bugs, read water, make a presentation, how to manage to not tie himself up in the fly line, and finally how to set the hook and even how land (and release) a couple of wild rainbow trout. To anyone who wonders about the soul of fly fishing, I highly recommend taking a youngster (or an "oldster") and showing them a bit about what makes this so special and so fulfilling.
JB

Mike O
02-22-2014, 05:32 PM
Yes, bobber fishing is not very aesthetic. But I also wonder why they don't make the bobbers more aesthetically pleasing? In reality how is a bright green, red, or yellow bobber any different than the old red and white ones? I recall back in my adolescence, being primarily a gear fisherman, one of the fishing mags had a great article on these really cool bamboo or balsa wood bobbers that had north and south axis on them. They were very aesthetic....

I do use little red and white bobbers when I indi fish. It's laughs watching the other ffers doubletake