PDA

View Full Version : Sun valley end Feb recommendations

steveg137
02-17-2014, 10:17 PM
Hearing to sun valley end fen for long weekend.

Been once before and fished silver creek and big wood in fall.

I've been checking local outfitter boards and seems like big wood and upper lost are best options, largely midges.

Anyone been there in winter that has any advice?

Thanks steve

Mike O
02-18-2014, 06:32 PM
Have fished Trail Creek with great success in Summer, but d/k if it's even open to fishable in winter...sorry

steveg137
02-19-2014, 10:56 AM
Thanks Mike, will think about Trail Creek for next summer trip.

grflyfish
02-20-2014, 09:09 PM
I fish out of Ketchum in the winter every now and then, usually in Nov/Dec (including this past Thanksgiving). Always on the Big Wood or Silver Creek Nature Conservancy, which closes early Dec. I guess I don't stray far from the Big Wood given access issues elsewhere in winter, and also because I routinely have good luck there. With the cold temps, I usually focus lower down, between Ketchum and Hailey, and usually closer to Hailey. Heading south from Ketchum, there are some roads on the right side, heading west and just a mile or two north of Hailey, which cross the river and provide good access. Sorry I can't recall the names....a quick look on Google Earth will show them. Red midges and red size 18-20 copper johns are usually my go to flies, behind a heavily weighted attractor fly to get them down. Deeper runs and pools vs. the riffles. Relatively easy to wade this time of year with the lower flows. You can often times cover the water pretty effectively from the edges without getting in too deep. Stop into Lost River Outfitters on Main St. in Ketchum. They always provide me good advice and a map showing access points. Dress warm and be prepared to remove ice from your guides. Cold but worth it...enjoy.