PDA

View Full Version : width of small jon boat for standing

retirednavy
02-16-2014, 02:28 PM
HI

I am interested in a small jon boat. The Lowe 1032 and the G3 1036 are at the top of my list.

I think the 32" is too narrow for standing to fly cast from the floor. Will the 36" be a noticeable difference?

The only other solution I can find in a car top pram with more bottom width is the Stillwater model and that is at a different price point.

Retire Navy

David Lee
02-16-2014, 06:14 PM
Mine is 12-feet w/ a 32 inch bottom . I can stand up in it .... but I don't - you'd have to have the balance of a Cat !!

D.~

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-16-2014, 07:56 PM
I would get the 12' x 36" and that will almost be like a canoe.

The Valco and Western prams were 44" wide at the bottom in the 8', 10', 12' and 14' so you could easily stand in them.

I really love the 14' x 48" Jon boat but you need a trailer for them.

Darian
02-20-2014, 08:49 AM
RN,.... Your prior note indicates you're going to be bringing a friend and both will be standing while fly casting. So, with that in mind, I'd go with a boat that has a wider bottom....

JAWallace
03-01-2014, 11:29 AM
I don't think anything under 12' is adequate for two people standing and casting, and one will have to backcast in most spots. If you're solo, I'd look at the inflatables. They are obviously very portable and extremely stable. You'll need a frame and a lean bar if you want to stand up comfortably, regardless of the Scadden videos ;-). You can put a small Honda on some of them, others an electric. Very versatile, good for all the local waters.