PDA

View Full Version : Truckee, CA.

bigfly
02-14-2014, 10:49 AM
2-18-14

Grey today....
The river is green/clear and temp has risen rapidly to 43. Flows still dropping.....inch by inch.
The seine I did recently, was stupendous.
Basically almost all the food in the river in one net......
1. Skulpin.
2. Golden stone nymph.
3. Little yellow sallie nymph.
4. Skwalla nymph.
5. BWO nymph.
6. March Brown nymph.
7. Swimmer Baetis nymph.
8. Midges, midges, midges.
9. Free ranging Caddis.
10. San Juans......Mmmmmmm.
Did I mention using a seine is a good thing?
I'm speculating mind you.....but if/when, it warms after this weeks storm, start keeping an eye out for Skwallas......

Jim

WadeK
02-18-2014, 05:20 PM
Respectfully, what's the difference between BWO and Swimmer Beatis nymphs? I thought BWO=Blue Winged Olive=Beatis.?

Tight Lines,
Wade

TyV
02-18-2014, 09:46 PM
Respectfully, what's the difference between BWO and Swimmer Beatis nymphs? I thought BWO=Blue Winged Olive=Beatis.?

Tight Lines,
Wade

Hey Wade

The short answer is that all BWO are baetis but not all baetis are BWO. The baetis Jim is referring to are very dark, almost black, on the Truckee. The BWO he is referring to are well, olive bodied.

That us the short answer lol. For the long answer, I suggest a google search for the family Baetidae. Hope that helps.

bigfly
02-19-2014, 07:01 PM
Fish on, I couldn't have said it better..Baetidae is a varied family.
And it's getting more varied as scientists (Lumpers and Splitters) change nomenclature.
No sweat Wade...Not being an entomologist, I just try and describe what I fish, and what you should bring if you come up.
The small swimmer is dark bodied sz 20. think juju. with a clear wing emergent form (Our smallest Mayfly).
The BWO we casually label is bigger sz 18 (A clinger type) and has a powder blue Imago stage, and a darker olive body.
(Compared to common commercial tie.) Burks silhouette Dun is spot-on.
Took up bugs because I fish.....not keen on Latin though.....
But I do seine the water almost every day.....otherwise, we're guessing.....
My MO is to capture my find in a (Alcohol filled) specimen vial, and take it with when shopping(Or tying).
That way, a fisherman doesn't have to learn fly names or insect names, which may/will change with location and time.
Nothing will put-off a beginner faster than INFORMATION OVERLOAD...........! :rolleyes:

If Ralph wants to input, I'm open.....

Jim

Big Jim
02-20-2014, 08:31 PM
Jim.
I am of your mind entirely... I collect bugs, or photos of them and try to tie or buy to match them... Its actually a lot more fun (for me) to tie to a specimen rather than to a recipe - and that way I don't get all worried and frustrated when I don't have the exact materials that a published recipe is using (and when have we ever had everything exactly as a recipe calls for, though I have enough tying materials to last me and two other guys a lifetime)? I just use what I have to try to capture the important aspects of the bug, using whatever tying technique seems to do the trick. Then I group my flies by river and time of year (and then I bring all the other flies I have anyway just in case - grin). One thing I would like to ask you: do you use any special alcohol to preserve the bugs? I just use denatured alcohol, but my vials tend to get cloudy and dark after a while..

Jim Davenport

bigfly
02-21-2014, 10:08 AM
Big Jim, the good stuff isn't available to civilians...a carcinogen that requires a permit.
Everclear is the best, with isopropyl alco. 90% as a cheaper substitute.
The color does fade and liquid cloud up.I do pour off and refill.
Or, I just recollect the specimen every few years.
Although I fish some store bought flies, I totally agree about the pleasure of twisting up a bug to local specs.....
The fish seem to appreciate the effort!

Jim

Big Jim
02-21-2014, 10:47 AM
Thanks. I will try the isopropyl. If I get the everclear I might just be tempted to drink it streamside....

Jim

bigfly
02-21-2014, 12:46 PM
Skwalla nymphs are holding within inches of shore.......
I thought this should be the week.....water temp 44 and falling....chilly nights.
Flows down a bit more 1-2", and clear/green.....
I will wait......
Saw some BWOs, and some smaller Baetis too.
Midges..........................of course.
Free ranging caddis are now being served. sz18.
Another great bug seine, seems like spring.....
Numerous dead grey squirrels on the road, another sign.
A couple days of weather coming.
See you on the other side.

Jim

WadeK
02-24-2014, 02:28 PM
Thanks! I knew that there are something over 100 species of Baetidae, ranging from #26 to 14 and varying in colors and body type. Like you, I also mostly study the bugs to help my fishing. I don't like Latin.
Having said that, are there any behavioral or locational differences between these guys I should be aware of? Would you know if any particular rivers closer to me (Bakersfield) would have an abundance of the Swimmers? I only make it to the Truckee about every other year.

Tight lines,
Wade

bigfly
02-25-2014, 09:30 AM
Edit 3-4-14
Beautiful, misty, overcast, with breaks of blue, and almost T-shirt....
River is down a bit, Green, and 44 deg. Perfect.
Caddis are infrequently present. try an Pupa/emerger sz18.
Skwallas are about......try a sz10 lowrider.....
BWOs and smaller Baetis sz 18-20.
March browns are showing too.
March brown nymph sz 16-18
Golden stone nymphs, try a soft hackle style...
Aquatic annelids...smallish.
Saw my first green Drake nymph.
Seined my second Sculpin this year.
Midges, still a food force. sz 18 zebra in black, or green/gray.
Although I think the fish are about over them.....I know I am.
Can not say how this season will go.
My advice...fish soon.

Jim

catchsnaprelease
03-06-2014, 10:02 AM
Saw a bunch of skwalas getting pounded against the banks yesterday...

bigfly
03-06-2014, 10:27 AM
http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/ac260/Bigfly1/Clients/P3140019.jpg (http://s905.photobucket.com/user/Bigfly1/media/Clients/P3140019.jpg.html)

Yes sir.....

The river is sweet right now...
Color is green, and about 44-45 deg.
If the clouds burn off and it gets warm.....Skwallas!!!
Up here they are sz 10. Fish near shore...with a DRY!
BWOs, March browns, Midges, and a few Caddis...
Seined a cray today for the first time this season.....
It's officially Spring.

Jim