PDA

View Full Version : How to register a toon

ICE
02-10-2014, 04:42 PM
I was hoping for some advise or solid info that the DMV could not provide.
I am looking a registering a Creek Company ODC1220 for use with an electric motor. I went to the DMV today to change the title of a car and tried to register my toon at the same time. The response from the clerk was that with out a VIN. or S# there was nothing they could do for me. Also they asked for a title, receipt or some other form of ownership. When I explained that it was a purchase from a third party years and years ago they said that I needed some from of documentation. Now I had called the DMV (30min on hold) this morning just to get some information and the operator said it would not be a problem if I brought the vessel with me. Now when I got to the DMV they did not even offer this as an option. No Docs. No # No Dice!!!
Can any one point me in the right direction. Fortunately for me I did get some thing accomplished at the price of $300.00 and 1.5hrs of my time.

On another note, Anyone got a fishing buddy or other fish finder their selling cheap?

Thanks

TonyMuljat
02-10-2014, 05:22 PM
From DMV Website:

How Do I Register My Vessel?

The documents required to register and title a new vessel or a vessel being registered for the first time are:
• Application for Vessel Certificate of Number (BOAT 101).
• Proof of ownership, such as the out-of-state title in the applicant's name or properly endorsed for transfer and signed by the applicant. A bill of sale is acceptable in lieu of the seller's signature on the title,
OR

• The original or certified copy of a conditional sales contract or security interest showing the purchaser's name and any lienholder and marked "paid" and countersigned,
OR

• A bond for the vessel value if proof of ownership cannot be provided and the vessel's value is $2,000 or more.

Is the vessel worth more than $2,000.00? It appears to me that whoever you spoke to at the DMV didn't know what they were talking about....

Dan Harrison
02-11-2014, 07:29 PM
Why would you want to go out of your way to do something that is both unnecessary and costs you money? Have had plenty of toons pontoons kayaks canoes with and without motors never even thought of registering them. Please explain is there some benefit that many have been missing all these years?

Mike O
02-12-2014, 01:02 AM
Have a friend write you a bill of sale for a buck. then take that to the DMV

ICE
02-12-2014, 10:30 AM
Why would I want to register my toon? As far as I can tell it is the law. And I hate getting hassled by the man. I've run with out #'s in the past in remote lakes, but as I get into high profile / regulated areas, I'd just like to cover my ass. I've been contemplating the its easier to ask forgiveness than to ask for permission route (it's generally what I do), but I figured I could at least try and follow the rules this time (since I was there). But since that did not work I figured I'd come here for some constructive feed back from the law abiding contributors of the forum...................

I was planing to create a bill of sale so I'll save the buck thanks.
As for the "benefit of that many have been missing for years", hard to say other than offering some revenue for the state, and a job for a state employee? Just trying to follow the rules as far as I can interpenetrate them in regards to adding a motor on a vessel.
If I'm incorrect in needing to register a boat with a motor, and some one can show me where i am reading the regs. wrong, that would be great. Then I will be able to reference it in the future with the DMV or any agents that may believe otherwise.

Thanks for any help or clarification offered.

Let the jabs begin
To answer your questions.......
I'll take you up on the bill of sale and trip to the DMV! They were going to the DMV for me right? 3 bucks for the help.

I would go out of my way to do something that is unnecessary and costs money cause I'm an ass and have lots of free time & money. Why else? Want to come with? And the states broke(n).

Ha Ha.

ICE

TonyMuljat
02-12-2014, 12:14 PM
According to the DMV website (this is cut and pasted directly from the site): • A bond for the vessel value if proof of ownership cannot be provided and the vessel's value is $2,000 or more.

Is the vessel worth more than $2000? If so, you will need a bond. If not, you should be able to register it. I would go to the website print the registration form, copy the regulations and take that all with you to the DMV. Just my $.02.

ICE
02-12-2014, 12:39 PM
Thanks, the toon is not worth more than 2K, I filled out the from at the DMV and submitted it while registering a car. The clerk said no serial number or Vin# no dice they gave the boaters info pamphlet and said it was all in there and I had to move along to keep the line moving. Frustrating but funny it's all good I really don't care as long as i don't get fined or kicked off the lake. Its what all jokes and stereo types of the DMV are known for (unfortunately).
I appreciate your help and incite.
Thanks

It is funny how the value / cost of things go up the longer you talk about them and as you add more consultants to the discussion.
ICE

njbeast
02-14-2014, 09:26 AM
Ice,
Not sure what your Creek Company boat is like, but the question of whether or not to register hinges on the propulsion method of the vessel. You stated you were using an electric motor. Is that removable? Will you still be rowing your vessel? "A "vessel" is over eight feet in length and sail-powered or motor-driven (regardless of length) that is not documented by the U.S. Coast Guard. This includes motorboats, amphibious vehicle/vessels, and inflatable vessels with motors, shuttlecraft, jet skis or wet bikes." A vessel that is propelled manually does not need to be registered.

ICE
02-14-2014, 12:19 PM
Thanks for asking for clarification
12' overall length
Removable Electric Trolling Motor (Minn Kota 42 lbs thrust)
Oars on the toon for back up

The photo is of the toon set up for two people currently it is set up for one person with a home made motor mount off the stern of the craft.
Thanks
ICE

JAWallace
03-01-2014, 11:36 AM
If you use any motor, it has to be registered in California and most states. Period. It's not very expensive. I think my Scadden was $40 for two years.

What MikeO said above. Just produce a Bill of Sale. I KNOW you do that. I gave them the simple packing slip from Scadden and it was adequate. They aren't going to audit you ;-)

Delta456
03-09-2014, 01:01 PM
I registered my water skeeter pontoons. There was a serial number on the frame. Check your frame. If ther isn't one, borrow metal stamps from someone and add one yourseld. When you go to register, make your bill of sale date within the last month. If you tell them 'years', they will charge you penalties for not registering.