PDA

View Full Version : any news?

njbeast
02-05-2014, 01:19 PM
Any news on rivers closing?

RomieRome51
02-05-2014, 01:34 PM
Any news on rivers closing?

It's official as of this mornings meeting. Power lines to the basin until April 30 th. No surprise there. Why not the entire American. Also Russian river and small streams. Does anyone have the entire list?

http://fox40.com/2014/02/05/fishing-ban-announced-as-result-of-drought/

Frank Alessio
02-05-2014, 02:34 PM
Why the two week wait....

njbeast
02-05-2014, 04:36 PM
Fish and game has live webcast on their website..River closure was this morning so I have no further update. The FOX40 blog said two weeks (?) till the closure goes into effect...don't these people get it? What is the state going to do about piss poor water regulation. Remember..."If it's yellow let it mellow...If it's brown flush it down..."

Blueracer
02-05-2014, 05:29 PM
http://cdfgnews.wordpress.com/2014/02/05/fish-and-game-commission-adopts-emergency-regulations-to-close-angling/

Larry S
02-05-2014, 06:08 PM
Well, lets hope some of those optimistic long range forecasts come true. Although, with Michael Sutton at the helm,
the DFW commission might try to close the rivers because of high water. He's one of the big pushers for the MLPA's
and had(has) close ties with the Packard Foundation. I'm not sure why some of the language couldn't be clearer;
look at the South Fork of the Smith. Why don't they just say the entire South Fork is closed? Am I missing something?
Best to all,
Larry S

STEELIES/26c3
02-05-2014, 07:57 PM
What is the closure protecting on/in the American River?

99% of the salmon are either eggs dessicated and long since blown away or are alevin or fry at this point. Birds, fish and other predators as well as further drawing down of the river will likely decimate the balance.

Or maybe it's to protect the native steelhead? but that makes no sense because there are no native steelhead... and if CDFW REALLY cared about protecting 'naturally-spawned' fish, they wouldn't be allowing flossers, liners, snaggers and tule dippers to rape and pillage the redds as is now and has been happening on the river since November.

The above photo is of a (backward and upside-down) king salmon which was lined/flossed (snagged) off of its redd (nest) TODAY (2-5-2014) not once, not twice, but three times. It finally reached exhaustion and went belly-up down the river...

It sure seems like a too-little, too-late, feel-good, publicity stunt and fits right in with the department's management (or lack thereof) policy.

Axe ground
M

troutless
02-05-2014, 09:48 PM
Why the two week wait....

From the press release, I would infer that the delay is for the OAL (Office of Administrative Law) approval. My understanding of the function of the OAL is to minimize the tendency of the state bureaucracy to just Make Stuff Up.

The wheels of government do not grind swiftly. Usually this is a good thing.

njbeast
02-06-2014, 08:40 AM
From the press release, I would infer that the delay is for the OAL (Office of Administrative Law) approval. My understanding of the function of the OAL is to minimize the tendency of the state bureaucracy to just Make Stuff Up.

The wheels of government do not grind swiftly. Usually this is a good thing.

"Taking swift action in response to severe drought conditions throughout the state, the California Fish and Game Commission today adopted emergency regulations to close some waters to angling as recommended by the Department of Fish and Wildlife (CDFW) last week."

Swift action? Gee...I thought 2013 was the driest year on record for the State of California...soon to be super-ceded by 2014. As "Troutless" so succinctly pointed out, government is not swift. We all need to get involved and not just sit here bashing Fish and Game.

Walter
02-06-2014, 09:33 AM
"Taking swift action in response to severe drought conditions throughout the state, the California Fish and Game Commission today adopted emergency regulations to close some waters to angling as recommended by the Department of Fish and Wildlife (CDFW) last week."

Swift action? Gee...I thought 2013 was the driest year on record for the State of California...soon to be super-ceded by 2014. As "Troutless" so succinctly pointed out, government is not swift. We all need to get involved and not just sit here bashing Fish and Game.

I think Ill see Haleys Comet(twice?) before people get involved, unfortunately.

It's not about bashing DFW. Its about them taking better proactive action.

Where are the juvenile fish rescue projects in these streams drying up? Look up Dave Brown in Washington. He is an interesting guy to say the least but his instream fish rescue projects, permitted, are amazing.