PDA

View Full Version : Klamath - Trinity Report

Jeff F
02-02-2014, 11:10 AM
Thurs morning fished the Klamath in the Orleans area. Water was a little dirty with about 2 feet of vis. Bummer. Got a few hp's and lost a nice adult, but the clarity was an issue. Water was clearer above the Salmon River which was dumping in mud.

So, I decided to concentrate my efforts on the Trinity. Water was perfect and clean. Fished mid river between the South Fork and North Fork. Got lots of hp's, and hooked 4 adults. Only landed one, a 25" hen that was a perfect specimen. All fish came indo-Nymphing. Hot fly was a #12 poxyback hares ear.

A note on the Trinity.....99% of the people fish 20% of the river. And we all know where that 20% is. In two full days on the river, I saw zero people and fished in absolute solitude and found fish. So, I guess the moral of the story is....don't believe the hype and do some exploring and some walking and you'll be rewarded.

~Jeff

Larry S
02-02-2014, 01:29 PM
Jeff,
Great report. Glad to learn that you had success. Here's hoping that some of the
more optimistic forecasts ring true.
Best,
Larry S

winxp_man
02-04-2014, 07:58 PM
Nice report here Jeff! Thanks for sharing.

John H
02-04-2014, 10:56 PM
Thanks for the report, Jeff. It would be nice if there were a few more. Reports are more scarce than rain. 400 anglers a day check this page and very few reports get posted.

SanJoseBass
02-06-2014, 10:02 AM
Thanks for the report, Jeff. It would be nice if there were a few more. Reports are more scarce than rain. 400 anglers a day check this page and very few reports get posted.

Confirmed, a great report. I was on the Trinity the weekend after Jeff.

Day 1, we hit the river near Del Loma. My buddy is a spin fisherman, but I had him floating a double nymph rig. He hooked one on his 5th cast!! Not big, but he was stoked and is hooked on steelies. He's already looking to get his first fly rod. I missed 4 total on Day 1. Newbie mistakes :(

Dave with his first fish, he text's me every day saying he can't wait to go back!

Day 2, thank god for the Super Bowl! We had the river to ourselves. It went off for me I just couldn't land them. They kept coming unbuttoned, 6 total! And a snapped off two heaters. I have to admit, I was getting pissed! I hate getting like that but c'mon, it's hard to keep patient after the 6th unbutton and then snapping one off. I'm new to fly fishing so it was something I should have expected. Finally hooked a couple of wild bucks. This one was the largest and I think my largest wild steelie for my first season. Persistence paid off! The second snap off came after this guy, let's just say I wasn't too bummed about it. :) All fish seemed to be in love with the Trinity Special nymph from the fly shop.

One thing I must say is that with the overcast, I noticed I saw more fish jump in one hole than I have all season. I am almost sure I could have swung the second fish I snapped off. He had jumped minutes before I put my rig where he was located. Almost as soon as it landed, the indicator went down and the fish went psycho. I also got the most bites in one hole than I had in my previous weekends. Seemed like they knew rain was coming and they were eating to prep for some swimming. I love the Trinity, I feel that it's a great river to learn the art of Steelhead Fly Fishing.

Larry S
02-06-2014, 04:52 PM
SJB,
Another great trip for you on the Trinity. Looks like you created a monster with Dave! Did you just wade
fish this trip?
Best,
Larry S

SanJoseBass
02-07-2014, 10:03 AM
SJB,
Another great trip for you on the Trinity. Looks like you created a monster with Dave! Did you just wade
fish this trip?
Best,
Larry S

Haha, yep. Dave is a teacher, he said all he talked about to his students this week was steelhead fishing.

I did wade the entire weekend. Dave and I both had holes in our waders! That's the next purchase for my new love of steelies!

John H
02-07-2014, 07:08 PM
SJB -

That is good stuff. Getting fish on your own is not easy up there. You are having a very nice season. I fished in the fall for a day and a half and got a goose egg. I like the way the dog jumped in on the photo. That is a fine pooch.

M Duper
02-07-2014, 08:50 PM
Great reports guys. The gear guys always get hooked once they catch a fish on a fly rod. Lol!

TonyMuljat
02-08-2014, 03:45 PM
SJB -

That is good stuff. Getting fish on your own is not easy up there. You are having a very nice season. I fished in the fall for a day and a half and got a goose egg. I like the way the dog jumped in on the photo. That is a fine pooch.

Love that pooch!

SanJoseBass
02-08-2014, 11:26 PM
SJB -

Hey thanks bud. He's a rad dog.

Jeff F, hope to see more reports!