PDA

View Full Version : Master Fly Competition

hwchubb
01-29-2014, 08:34 PM
This past weekend and next, several fly shops in the Bend area are sponsoring a Master Fly competition, with the finals a couple of weekends from now. In a nutshell it plays on the Chopped / Iron Chef idea, where all the tiers get the same "mystery ingredients" and have a certain time limit to come up with their best answer. I thought I'd look into doing the same thing here, and there is also some interest in the Reno area. Tim Fox was open to holding one competition at Fishwest, and I wanted to gauge interest in it here. Enough interest and I 'll delve a bit deeper.

Anyone? Anyone?

Mike O
01-29-2014, 10:11 PM
That sounds cool!! I am interested

JasonB
01-30-2014, 10:46 AM
Probably way above my skills for now, but I love the idea. I would probably be interested in participating in one at some point in the future, after having a few more seasons tying practice. Sounds like a lot of fun,
JB

JD
01-30-2014, 11:12 AM
Would be much more interested in seeing Fishwest host some premier tiers holding workshops than something like this.

Tony Buzolich
01-30-2014, 12:20 PM
This kind of sounds fun to me. Like using the format on "Chopped" though sounds a little tougher and would probably stop a lot of tiers from competing unless they had categories in which to tie.

Categories would have to be something like,,,, "Dry Fly", "Wet Fly", "Nymph". Then what about something totally different from this such as "Baitfish patterns", " Billfish patterns", or " Topwater and Popper patterns" ?

Without some form of category separation you'd have some really good tiers like Bob Clouser or Popovics failing when it came to tying #16 or #18 BWO's. :)

Just like on "Chopped", some folks are really good with deserts but have no idea what an appetizer even is. :)

JasonB
01-30-2014, 12:27 PM
This kind of sounds fun to me. Like using the format on "Chopped" though sounds a little tougher and would probably stop a lot of tiers from competing unless they had categories in which to tie.

Categories would have to be something like,,,, "Dry Fly", "Wet Fly", "Nymph". Then what about something totally different from this such as "Baitfish patterns", " Billfish patterns", or " Topwater and Popper patterns" ?

Without some form of category separation you'd have some really good tiers like Bob Clouser or Popovics failing when it came to tying #16 or #18 BWO's. :)

Just like on "Chopped", some folks are really good with deserts but have no idea what an appetizer even is. :)

Very good points there. Perhaps a species could be designated with each challenge?

Hogan Brown
01-30-2014, 02:36 PM
That would be fun to be part of. I would be interested in participating if it comes to together.

Dan Harrison
01-30-2014, 02:42 PM
Good concept. Think it would be fun.

rippinstreamers
01-30-2014, 08:14 PM
Sounds great, I know most of us of had plenty of time to sharpen our skills as of late, it would be nice to be challenged into tying something completely different than you have for lets say the past 3 months.

hwchubb
01-30-2014, 11:13 PM
It looks like the one up north ( you can check out discussions on Westfly and on the Master Fly Facebook page) was actually just a single fly, I thought about maybe doing a dry, wet, and open round, but still very preliminary. I also have a feeling that originality counts more than tying skill alone. I was at a fly shop in New York about 35 years ago watching Poul Jorgenson (incredible salmon tier) and Dave Whitlock tying. Poul showed Dave a picture of a fly he had done, Dave commented "nice picture - crappy fly, though" and Poul threw a bunch of his trimmings in front of Dave and said "well, this is the crap you tie with". Five minutes later, Dave had fashioned a beautiful Red Fox type nymph from the pile. This event reminded me of that.

Baja Fly Fisher
01-31-2014, 03:11 PM
They hold a fly tying contest just like this at the Tackle Dealer show. They give you a bag of goodies and one mystery item that has to be used. They give you 10 minutes to come up with some kinda fly/idea. It's a lot of fun to watch 10 tyers dig into the bag and come up with a good looking fly in 10.
Dang, maybe I should dig into my boxes and drawers and see what I can come up. I have a ton of "stuff".

Jay

David Lee
01-31-2014, 05:42 PM
They hold a fly tying contest just like this at the Tackle Dealer show. They give you a bag of goodies and one mystery item that has to be used. They give you 10 minutes to come up with some kinda fly/idea. It's a lot of fun to watch 10 tyers dig into the bag and come up with a good looking fly in 10.

That sounds ideal !

D.~

Mike O
02-02-2014, 06:38 PM
if this was like Chopped:

tiers would have to follow the hatch...

First tie would be Nymph
Second tie should be Emerger
Third fly Dry

socallies23
03-22-2014, 10:15 PM
This is a event held each year at iftd. Every one gets a bag of the same stuff and and then a secret ingredient is added like half way into your fly. It was truly a blast to be in with:-( a ton of great tiers were there from all over the world. The judges really didn't care if you were a salt tier a dry fly guru etc. It was more just based on the fly you made and the execution of it. There was a group in Idaho running with the same idea for a while as well. I have also heard rumor of it happening in southern cali from some guys I know down there. Mr fox will do a great job with it I have faith that he knows how this all goes having been yo enough iftd shows.

socallies23
03-22-2014, 10:16 PM
Sorry Jay missed your post we competed last year against each other.