PDA

View Full Version : Floatin or Neutral Bouyancy Material

DLJeff
01-28-2014, 05:46 PM
Any one done any tests to determine which synthetic fiber type material floats or has neutral buoyancy? I need to tie a fly with neutral buoyancy and would prefer to not tie on a slip of foam or something like that.

SHigSpeed
01-28-2014, 06:04 PM
Any one done any tests to determine which synthetic fiber type material floats or has neutral buoyancy? I need to tie a fly with neutral buoyancy and would prefer to not tie on a slip of foam or something like that.

In general, most synthetic fibers are pretty close to neutral buoyancy, but you'll always have to counter the weight of the hook so you'll most likely need to tie in at least a foam strip or dowel.

_SHig

jbird
01-28-2014, 06:40 PM
Doug, I have found macrame yarn to be the most bouyant. Almost too buoyant, but with a heavy hook it is pretty close to neutral. With that said, EP fibers are the closest match to macrame. You can check out Carols Rugs for the largest online selection of macrame

DLJeff
01-28-2014, 07:32 PM
Thanks for the tip Jay. The last time I checked out macramé yarns they were a little too stiff for my liking. But that was some time ago so I'll check them out again.