PDA

View Full Version : Ice House and Silver Fork American

tcorfey
01-25-2014, 11:13 PM
Looked at the Silver Fork of the American from below Ice House reservoir. Stream was much to low, waded a short stretch but decided not to fish it feeling that if I caught any fish I would stress them too much. So I went up to the reservoir itself and managed to land a couple of small Rainbows 10-11 inches long. Good fight on a 4-wt Bamboo rod. Started out casting a retrieving a size 12 Woolly Bugger but had no takers. Towards sunset the trout were sipping and swirling on the surface so I put out a size 18 Parachute Adams and had no takers until I drowned it to fish just below the surface like an emerger then I garnered some interest and picked up a couple of fish in short order by waiting and then casting into the swirls. Beautiful day up there a couple of bank anglers were there as well as a couple of boaters.

JasonB
01-26-2014, 08:59 AM
Sounds like a pretty nice day, especially considering it's january and that lake would normally be tough to even get to with all the snow! One small point to avoid confusion though; that stream is the south fork of silver creek, the silver fork of the american flows into the south fork of the american up by kyburz from the other side. It is also a fun place to fish.
JB

tcorfey
01-26-2014, 02:12 PM
Jason,
Thanks I always confuse the names Silver fork of the South Fork of the American versus South Fork of Silver Creek in El Dorado County. Then to compound it further there is Silver Creek in El Dorado county versus Silver Creek in Alpine county. Guess I should have looked it up first.