PDA

View Full Version : General Questions and Info

beachbum2
01-25-2014, 10:45 AM
Good Morning All,
I am brand new to this forum and wanted to put out a few questions to anyone who wants answer. I was introduced to fly fishing approx. 30 years ago as a teen. No after kids are gone and I have the time I am getting back into the sport. I have updated some of my gear, I now have a 6wt. TFO rod paired with an Orvis mid-Arbor Access and I am looking to add a 4wt and a 8wt or even a 10wt as well at some later date.

I live a little south Sac and I am looking fwd to doing any fly fishing right now. The high country is a little cold (and frozen), so what are the great places here close for some fishing? Prefer trout fishing, BUT would really do any kind of fishing now.

And last but not least, I have a Regal vise right now, but Im looking to get another. Should I go with the PEAK or the Griffin? Any and all comments or suggestions would be great. Thanks

Darian
01-25-2014, 11:13 AM
First, welcome aboard. Lots of good info on this BB. I'm going to start in a general way. Others will undoubtedly provide more detailed info.

The area you live in has access to a lot of fishing, the Delta, valley rivers (Mokelumne nearest) and valley, foothill reservoirs and ponds. There're some foothill streams that're open year round for Trout. The lower Mokelumne (below Camanche) has some Steelhead, The American has Salmon, Shad, Steelhead and Stripers. The Delta has almost everything in it at one time or another. Altho, it's most easily fished from a boat. Several guides in the area fish the Delta and that's a good choice if you don't have a boat. There're other opportunities on the west side of the valley. Most of the high country is closed to fishing by regulation or ice. So, you'll have to wait a while for that.

If you're a AAA member, you can get fairly detailed maps of the area (all free) to check out opportunities/distances. Also, don't forget to check out the Reports Section in the bar at the top of this page.

Enjoy the exploration and good luck. :cool:

amoeba
01-27-2014, 07:02 PM
Good Morning All,
I am brand new to this forum and wanted to put out a few questions to anyone who wants answer. I was introduced to fly fishing approx. 30 years ago as a teen. No after kids are gone and I have the time I am getting back into the sport. I have updated some of my gear, I now have a 6wt. TFO rod paired with an Orvis mid-Arbor Access and I am looking to add a 4wt and a 8wt or even a 10wt as well at some later date.

I live a little south Sac and I am looking fwd to doing any fly fishing right now. The high country is a little cold (and frozen), so what are the great places here close for some fishing? Prefer trout fishing, BUT would really do any kind of fishing now.

And last but not least, I have a Regal vise right now, but Im looking to get another. Should I go with the PEAK or the Griffin? Any and all comments or suggestions would be great. Thanks

a) fishing right now - as close to the hatcheries as possible (American and Mokelumne). Or wait till this weekend if there is some rain and go to the north coast for steelhead. Everybody else will be there.

b) rods - 4/8/10. Get some more TFO's; pro series is good enough.

c) vise - the Regal vises are OK for big flies (provided you hang onto the shank while doing tight wraps, the hooks sometimes slip); not great for small flies. You could get another vise for small flies or the small jaws for a Regal. This is definitely something you should check out at flyshops before buying, as some people prefer pedastals (the heavier the better), others clamp bases (light, but sturdy), and various features, depending on what it is you tie mostly. Go to Sacramento and try out several at a fly shop (not sportsman's warehouse or buying blind online) - most shops have at least 1/2 dozen options.

beachbum2
01-28-2014, 02:50 PM
@ amoeba.....TYVM for all the info. I really like the TFO rods and esp the pro series. I was only thinking of adding a 4wt and an 8wt, Im glad you think I need the 10wt as well. I started with an Orvis Mid-Arbor Access as I said, but kind of torn between staying w Orvis or switching to Lamson. I will have to check those out when I look at vises. Thanks again

Charlie S
01-28-2014, 03:43 PM
Or wait till this weekend if there is some rain and go to the north coast for steelhead. Everybody else will be there.

If we don't get one heck of a lot more rain than we're getting right now they will not open the streams to fishing. So far only misty. Even if we got 2" of rain, highly unlikely, I don't think it would raise the rivers a significant amount, nor enough to get F&G to open the streams. Call, 707-9445533 for Marin Co, Sonoma Co and Mendocino Co. Russian River is open to fishing, bring your own rock. Call 707-8223164 for everything north of Mendocino Co.

amoeba
01-30-2014, 04:53 PM
Or wait till this weekend if there is some rain and go to the north coast for steelhead. Everybody else will be there.

If we don't get one heck of a lot more rain than we're getting right now they will not open the streams to fishing. So far only misty. Even if we got 2" of rain, highly unlikely, I don't think it would raise the rivers a significant amount, nor enough to get F&G to open the streams. Call, 707-9445533 for Marin Co, Sonoma Co and Mendocino Co. Russian River is open to fishing, bring your own rock. Call 707-8223164 for everything north of Mendocino Co.

Not anymore (http://cdfgnews.wordpress.com/2014/01/29/cdfw-puts-closures-in-effect-on-some-rivers-recommends-further-changes-to-the-fish-and-game-commission/)

Charlie S
01-31-2014, 03:57 PM
Not true yet. The Russian is still open but DFG may close it next next. If you read what you posted, you will see that the Russian was part of a proposal to close it. I would like to see that happen, a lot!

Terry Thomas
01-31-2014, 07:20 PM
Check out Rancho Seco.

amoeba
02-01-2014, 12:50 PM
Not true yet. The Russian is still open but DFG may close it next next. If you read what you posted, you will see that the Russian was part of a proposal to close it. I would like to see that happen, a lot!

Goes to the commission this thursday (2/5/14)...expect action on this one (closed for season)...no matter what, you won't catch me hassling steelhead in such low water....should never have opened to begin with.

amoeba
02-04-2014, 09:10 PM
Goes to the commission this thursday (2/5/14)...expect action on this one (closed for season)...no matter what, you won't catch me hassling steelhead in such low water....should never have opened to begin with.

Hi there - wonder what the Commission will do tomorrow - perhaps they'll see its cloudy and wet outside and think the drought has ended. In all likelihood - we'll see these closures and, beyond that a bit later this month,further flow reductions.

There just isn't enough water.

Ed Wahl
02-04-2014, 10:51 PM
Beachbum2, sorry for the wayward steelheaders hijacking of your post, they're quite well known on this board for being a bunch of a holes. I'll second Terry's idea of Rancho Seco. It's planted pretty heavily in winter and when the 'derby' is on they put some really large ones in there. You'll need a float tube or other small watercraft to effectively fly fish it. A floating line can work but an intermediate is the ideal. Small buggers and Wiggle Tails are by far the top flies. This is also a great warm water fishery. There are dinner plate 'gills and crappie, sunfish, and largemouth that push the world record weight. Also, look at a map. Every stream coming down from the Sierras has Smallies in the lowland areas. You'll find several in your neighborhood. Happy Hunting. Ed

Charlie S
02-05-2014, 07:28 PM
Ed, you sure paint with a broad brush. I am offended by your comment and i don't believe you have the cojones to call me that to my or anyone else's face. The Internet is the coward's friend.

amoeba
02-05-2014, 08:35 PM
as I suspected, albeit with an attempt at wry humor by the Commission ("we can't make it rain"):

http://cdfgnews.wordpress.com/2014/02/05/fish-and-game-commission-adopts-emergency-regulations-to-close-angling/?relatedposts_exclude=5285

Oddly, I might have been tempted to start steelhead fishing with the systems starting to move in....but alas...not this year.

Ed Wahl
02-05-2014, 09:34 PM
Ed, you sure paint with a broad brush. I am offended by your comment and i don't believe you have the cojones to call me that to my or anyone else's face. The Internet is the coward's friend.

Ok, I'll agree that was too broad, sorry. So what's up with the hijacking of a newcomers thread? Go back to post one and give the guy an answer he can use to get started.

I'm using a Medalist right now myself but I find it more quirky than I'd like. Ed

Scott V
02-06-2014, 09:37 AM

I love internet threats, they make me laugh!!

DLJeff
02-06-2014, 11:34 AM
Heh heh, I think the words of wisdom from the famous Sargeant Hulka apply: "Lighten up Francis."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OnpkDWbeJs

DAVID95670
02-06-2014, 01:46 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hOhhgrM3bs

What is needed here is the pancake treatment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hOhhgrM3bs

DAVID95670
02-06-2014, 01:47 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggc1cCNe-04

better yet some people need a parsnip LOL

is it not fun when it gets out of control

Scott V
02-06-2014, 01:55 PM
Thanks guys, I need a hard laugh, especially today.

DAVID95670
02-06-2014, 02:55 PM
Thanks guys, I need a hard laugh, especially today.

scott have you ever seen ROMEO IS BLEEDING? Great movie with Gary Oldman lol "With or Without"?

DLJeff
02-06-2014, 04:12 PM
Hey Beachbun2 - hope you gt the info you were hoping for...now that we've completely hijacked your initial thread. Sorry

Scott V
02-06-2014, 04:28 PM
scott have you ever seen ROMEO IS BLEEDING? Great movie with Gary Oldman lol "With or Without"?

No I haven't, and Gary is one of my all time favorite actors. I'll check it out this weekend.

Scott V
02-06-2014, 04:29 PM
Oh yeah, HIGH JACKED!!!! Sorry, it is all done in fun.

oldtrout
02-07-2014, 02:11 AM
Beachbum2, sorry for the wayward steelheaders hijacking of your post, they're quite well known on this board for being a bunch of a holes. Ed

Did you just call CharlieS an a hole?
Charlie is the very best person I know, generous to a fault, and a dear friend of mine. You must be talking about someone else.

Scott V
02-07-2014, 08:11 AM
Did you just call CharlieS an a hole?
Charlie is the very best person I know, generous to a fault, and a dear friend of mine. You must be talking about someone else.

Don't start something back up, let it die. And no he did not directly call anyone an a hole. So don't start anything, just let it die.

Or better yet, mods, kill this post before it gets even uglier.

jbird
02-07-2014, 09:29 AM
Maybe just ignore the negativity and give this guy some answers?

pgw
02-08-2014, 03:18 PM
Don,

You are absolutely correct about CharlieS I feel the same way but I'll add, and this is good info for people asking questions, there's only a couple of people that I'd trust to take a door with me and CharlieS is one of them.

Paul Wulf

oldtrout
02-10-2014, 05:32 PM
Don't start something back up, let it die. And no he did not directly call anyone an a hole. So don't start anything, just let it die.

Dude, don't you ever tell me what to do.

Mike O
02-10-2014, 10:56 PM
Has this board "jumped the shark?" Lotta beef, not a lot of welcome. Hope he didn't leave. This convo belongs on The Drake board.

Scott V
02-11-2014, 09:28 AM
Dude, don't you ever tell me what to do.

Whatever tough guy, it was a suggestion. But I can see by your post you are looking to start something. You are just another waste of my time, so I am no longer going to deal with you, good bye!

Nor*Cal
02-11-2014, 11:03 AM
Gentleman, gentlemen! You guys are behaving like bait fisherman! haha just a joke. didn't know you guys got down like this on this board! I thought the original "Ahole" post was a joke. lol

Either way, Beach bum, I know its been a while but welcome to the boards. I'm pretty new here as well. AS you may have heard the American is closed as well. If you ever want to make your way out to Putah creek, Let me know I have yet to fish it but I really want to and would enjoy the company!

ycflyfisher
02-11-2014, 12:42 PM

Whatever tough guy, it was a suggestion. But I can see by your post you are looking to start something. You are just another waste of my time, so I am no longer going to deal with you, good bye!

That’s nuts and more nuts. If anyone one was looking to start something it was Special Ed with his gem of a post (#11), in which Ed takes a cheap shot not only at UC and Amoeba but everyone who identifies as a steelheader. Yet you’re concluding that Don is the bad guy here and that it’s his post that needs moderator action, despite the fact he said nothing inflamatory.

I’m in agreement that moderator action would have been appropriate, but that it shouldn’t be directed at Don, UC or even Amoeba. Ed successfully trainwrecks the thread like he always tries to do, and UC and Don end up being the bad guys. I don’t get it.

If you’re going to take it upon yourself to play moderator, at least get it right in terms of who it was that violated this forum’s only rule.

jbird
02-11-2014, 01:59 PM
LOL! I am completely convinced theres no official moderators on this forum anymore. They all slipped out the back door LOL. Like a ship that was quietly untied from its mooring and is now aimlessly drifting at sea with a bunch of unruly pirates on board. Weeeeeeee!

JasonB
02-11-2014, 08:52 PM
Wow, some really thin skin here and sharp tempers... looks like some folks are in dire need of more fishing time. I include myself in that last comment. As for moderation, I agree that this forum has really allowed things to slide off the deep end on too many threads lately. Some, like this one, have gone to the point of being a shameful representation. I would have hoped that we could all behave like gentleman all by our own selves, but I think the reality is that some more judicious moderation would be in high order. I like to chat fishing, and I've learned a TON from many of you more knowledgeable folks that post here, but name calling and back and forth sniping is just stupid.

To the OP, your questions were a tad vague so I don't really have anything to add to what has already been said. If you have more specific questions now, or later I would be more than happy to help answer any that I can. I have a Regal vise btw, and am very happy with it.
JB

bigfly
02-12-2014, 11:27 AM
Jason, and now you are calling people stupid!!!!!
We don't need a moderator, but an internet swat team.
With every offense of offensiveness, a finger is removed.
Starting with the little ones and working up.
We will leave thumbs, because it's funny to watch someone type with them.
After that, other parts will fall, if you aren't out fishing, you didn't need them anyway.........
And, fishing is no substitute for growing up, trust me on this. Although it couldn't hurt to try.

BB2, the fishing is just fine up here.....Cold? It's 54degs on the water, and looks like Spring.
I wouldn't wait for "warm fishing" this year, that takes water........

Jim

briansII
02-12-2014, 01:24 PM
Personally, I appreciate the restraint of the moderators.

briansII

bigfly
02-13-2014, 10:48 AM
BrainsII, I was kidding.....
Have you tried the Drake?

briansII
02-13-2014, 01:41 PM
BrainsII, I was kidding.....
Have you tried the Drake?

My post wasn't directed to you, or anyone specifically.

Yes, I like reading The Drake.

briansII

bigfly
02-14-2014, 09:40 AM
Ya Brian, I like the magazine.
Have you tried the forum?
No moderation there.....
Didn't think that was aimed at me..

Jim

TonyMuljat
02-14-2014, 12:50 PM
I just checked out the Drake Board, lurking style only. It doesn't seem to have much information on fishing. Only a quick review though.

briansII
02-14-2014, 12:53 PM
Ya Brian, I like the magazine.
Have you tried the forum?
No moderation there.....
Didn't think that was aimed at me..

Jim

Hi Jim. I enjoy both the magazine, and forum. The forum is moderated, but obviously the guidelines are looser than here. I enjoy/appreciate tightly moderated, to free for all style forums. It's all good.

briansII