PDA

View Full Version : Trinity Steelhead - Any good winter camping options

flynoob
01-16-2014, 05:19 PM
Poking around to see if anyone has been steelheading recently on the Trinity and if they know of any good tent campling sites near the river for winter camping. Thanks.

jayclarkflyfishing
01-16-2014, 05:35 PM
I havent fished it since November but have spent plenty of time camping up there over the years. Pidgeon Pt is right on the river with great water to fish. Steiner Flat Primitive CG is a free BLM cg on Steiner Flat Rd. Good water around camp. Steel Bridge CG on Steel Bridge Rd is ok. Cold and shaded with some decent water to fish.

Jay

flynoob
01-16-2014, 05:49 PM
Thanks Jay, I had heard of steel bridge but was unaware of Pidgeon pt, maybe I'll check it out. Is it open all winter?

I havent fished it since November but have spent plenty of time camping up there over the years. Pidgeon Pt is right on the river with great water to fish. Steiner Flat Primitive CG is a free BLM cg on Steiner Flat Rd. Good water around camp. Steel Bridge CG on Steel Bridge Rd is ok. Cold and shaded with some decent water to fish.

Jay

Ben J
01-16-2014, 06:40 PM
Yeah pigeon point is open all winter

donkeyhunter007
01-16-2014, 06:55 PM
pigeon point has water that holds fish, good camping spots with fire pit and BATHROOMS.....I think 8$ a night

donkeyhunter007
01-16-2014, 06:57 PM
........I forgot to mention last time I camped there it was below freezing and there was not an empty rock by 8 AM...maybe 9-10 guys fishing the campground stretch.

flynoob
01-16-2014, 07:23 PM
I have no problem breaking ice from the guides and will be on the water by day break - thanks all!

........I forgot to mention last time I camped there it was below freezing and there was not an empty rock by 8 AM...maybe 9-10 guys fishing the campground stretch.

NCL
01-17-2014, 06:02 AM
I fished the Trinity on Wednesday and it was slow. There are fish around but they are scattered. On the upside in wasn't very cold considering it being the middle of January

goby
01-18-2014, 09:54 AM
I fished the Trinity on Wednesday and it was slow. There are fish around but they are scattered. On the upside in wasn't very cold considering it being the middle of January

I friend of mine when on a drift boat yesterday and caught 2 fish. It's been a really slow year.

TahoeChris
01-18-2014, 11:56 PM
Junction City campground is still open too.