PDA

View Full Version : Packing A Super Fat Cat

atavuss
01-10-2014, 04:29 PM
I have a Super Fat Cat tube that I got in the fall of 2012 that I want to use this summer in Sierra lakes, how are you guys packing a tube, waders, boots, rod and reel, water, etc.? Do I need a huge backpacking pack to transport all this stuff?

SHigSpeed
01-10-2014, 05:45 PM
I have a Super Fat Cat tube that I got in the fall of 2012 that I want to use this summer in Sierra lakes, how are you guys packing a tube, waders, boots, rod and reel, water, etc.? Do I need a huge backpacking pack to transport all this stuff?

Here: http://www.kiene.com/forums/showthread.php?21680-SHig-s-Superlight-Packin-tube-Project

Summary: Tube, waders, booties, fins = 3 lbs 2 ounces. Slightly larger than a Nalgene bottle, inflates in under 3 minutes without hyperventilating using a 2 ounce "pump".

That said, for a SFC with the inflatable seats, it can be folded down to about 16"x8"x24". This can either fit into a 65 liter pack with a pair of bare bones breathables and packing fins or you can strap it all to a pack frame.

How far do you plan to hike? Overnight?

_SHig

SHigSpeed
01-10-2014, 06:01 PM
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7284/9764459135_43727ca7fc_b_d.jpg

The waders are rolled up in the booties. The waders aren't available, but you can get breathable pants waders down to about a pound and a half in a medium and not very bulky.

The SFC weighs about 12 lbs IIRC. Simple round tubes and the Creek Co. U-Boats are closer to 6.

Here's my pack for a day trip with everything in it:

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5539/9286073186_38bafa056a_b_d.jpg

That's a 28 liter pack, weighed somewhere around 14 lbs with a liter and a half of water and lunch plus all fishing gear. Funny thing is my boat kit is gram weenie light but I've only now started shaving ounces from my rod and reel etc...

_SHig

atavuss
01-10-2014, 09:27 PM
Here: http://www.kiene.com/forums/showthread.php?21680-SHig-s-Superlight-Packin-tube-Project

Summary: Tube, waders, booties, fins = 3 lbs 2 ounces. Slightly larger than a Nalgene bottle, inflates in under 3 minutes without hyperventilating using a 2 ounce "pump".

That said, for a SFC with the inflatable seats, it can be folded down to about 16"x8"x24". This can either fit into a 65 liter pack with a pair of bare bones breathables and packing fins or you can strap it all to a pack frame.

How far do you plan to hike? Overnight?

_SHig

I read through most of your ultralight float tube, it was very interesting and far beyond my abilities. I did think about getting the Trinity tube but wanted something a little heavier duty (I am 6'3" and 205 lbs.) While I may do multi day backpack trips later the lake I have in mind is 3 miles in. Some guys use mountain bikes but I can't imagine wearing a pack on a mountain bike, maybe a mountain bike with a single wheel bike trailer would work.

SHigSpeed
01-10-2014, 11:42 PM
I read through most of your ultralight float tube, it was very interesting and far beyond my abilities. I did think about getting the Trinity tube but wanted something a little heavier duty (I am 6'3" and 205 lbs.) While I may do multi day backpack trips later the lake I have in mind is 3 miles in. Some guys use mountain bikes but I can't imagine wearing a pack on a mountain bike, maybe a mountain bike with a single wheel bike trailer would work.

I bet I know what lake you're thinking of. I went in via mountain bike the first time, but have walked in ever since. Less than an hour walk vs a 20 minute ride plus the hassle of hoisting the bike over two fences and down and onto the car? Hmm...

My tube has been tested to over 220 so capacity is there. The Trinity is actually quite burly especially compared to mine, but it does weigh 3x and probably 5x or more the bulk too. Check out the Wildernesslite.com tube if you want a tube that's more robust than mine yet lighter than the Trinity. You will need chest waders for that one as the seat doesn't inflate but it does pack smaller than the Trinity.

You do have options though. Nice position to be in.

_SHig