PDA

View Full Version : Tulare Lake, Owens Valley, Delta....

Darian
01-08-2014, 02:06 PM
Is there a connection between these geographically diverse locations in CA??? The answer is yes. The first two have had water that was either needed elsewhere or were in the way of development and were drained in pursuit of profits. The last (Delta) finds itself the target of an attempt increase diversion of freshwater from and turn it into a saltwater estuary/marsh, again. All in the name of development/profits, whether for ag or municipal purposes.

OK, I admit it. That statement sounds a bit dramatic but there's definitely some similarities here. On Sunday, 1/5/14, the SacBee's, Public Eye, contained a front page article on the aftermath of actions to secure for development in the San Gabriel Valley and elsewhere in SoCal. I'm sure some of you have already done so but for those who haven't, check it out at:

http://www.sacbee.com/2014/01/05/6046630/outrage-in-owens-valley.html

Everyone in the valley is probably already aware of the fate of the former Tulare Lake and why, done deal. But, if you're not really interested in having a salty/brackish estuary all the way up thru Stockton and south Sacramento, you might want to consider becoming involved in the BDCP process, comment period. If the BDCP diversion is constructed, an unanticipated side affect could be seeing increased numbers of furry pinnipeds and other salty species at the mouth of the American River. Of course, catching salty fish is always a good thing to me but I'd miss the Black Bass/sunnies and the other usual suspects.... ;)

BTW, one concern that I haven't as yet seen addressed in the EIR/EIS (altho it might be there) is the screening of the intakes impact on eggs/milt/larva of broadcast spawners (e.g. Striped Bass/Shad, etc.). I did notice that the diameter of the holes in those screens is supposed to be smaller than those located at the pumps but they'd have to be small to filter out microscopic organisms.... :confused: