PDA

View Full Version : Klamath Winter run steelhead

Jeff F
01-05-2014, 10:39 AM
When I lived in Eureka, I never fished the Klamath in the winter due to the high flows, so I spent all my time on the Eel, SF and Van Duzen. However, with the low flows this year, it seems like a good option and easy wading.

Anyone have thoughts on or experience fishing the Klamath in the winter time? I'm assuming it's not crazy half-pounder fishing like in the fall, but more large adult fish. Thinking mid-river between Weitchpec and Orleans.

Thanks for any info.....

~Jeff

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-05-2014, 10:47 AM
My old friend Henry Starr had friends up in Eureka who fished the Klamath River in the winter during these low rain winters. They did very well up there with fish of all sizes.

We fished the coastal rivers close to the ocean in the big draught of the late 1970s. Now they have a low flow closer protection on those rivers.

I think the Klamath River would be a good place to go in these conditions.

Jed Peters
01-05-2014, 11:43 AM
Boy, I'm wondering if the mouth of the K is even open right now!!!!

TaylerW
01-05-2014, 12:55 PM
Klamath is open and fishing pretty decent

Siskiyoublues
01-05-2014, 06:49 PM
Boy, I'm wondering if the mouth of the K is even open right now!!!!

I heard that it wasn't,
but I have to drive down there myself to confirm.
Fishing is ok, water temps are cold, we need a warm(er) rain to blow through and spice things up.

Ben J
01-06-2014, 06:48 AM
It did open up a week ago but I don't know if it has closed again.

Dinky Jr
01-06-2014, 09:04 AM
It did open up a week ago but I don't know if it has closed again.

I was up there on Jan 2nd and the mouth was open.

Siskiyoublues
01-06-2014, 09:56 AM
I was up there on Jan 2nd and the mouth was open.

Good news! Now let's see if that rain in the forecast actually counts for something and jump start this winter season.

Ben J
01-06-2014, 03:51 PM
Mouth is still open

dpentoney
01-07-2014, 10:20 PM
The lower Klamath River will put out good numbers of BIG winter steelhead in the winter in the years when it is fishable at that time.
In years like 1976 and 1977 there were fish taken in the high teens during the winter. From November on there has always been a much higher grade of fish entering the Klamath that have seldom been fished.........