PDA

View Full Version : The first Time I picked up a fly fishing Rod...

Nor*Cal
01-03-2014, 11:16 AM
The first Time I picked up a fly fishing Rod... was last May. By that August I had my first Fly rod and had decided that I was in love with the sport.

How about the rest of you? How long have you been fly fishing??

Dan LeCount
01-03-2014, 11:49 AM
I had two older brothers I'd follow all around and thanks to them I've been fishing as long as I can remember. I got into fly fishing during trips to the east side Sierras as a kid. My dad went to college at Deep Springs near Bishop. He became a teacher and during summer break every year we would do a trip up and see the alumni. On the way down the east side I fished with a fly rod for the first time on the West Walker across from the military base. I think I was about 10 or 11 and it was around 1989/1990. Later that day I fished the East Walker for the first time and made my first visit to Kens Sporting Goods. Nowadays, I cant go down there without stopping by and reminiscing.

Jed Peters
01-03-2014, 11:55 AM
Honestly, I only used a spinning rod for one year when I was seven.

So I guess it's been just about 30 seasons for me?

One thing I've learned is that there are fishy people and non-fishy people. Has to do almost as a "zen" or spiritual thing. You can walk through the motions, but that doesn't necessarily mean that you're going to be adequate/good at catching fish.

I know "fly fishing" casting instructors who can't catch a fish to save their life. Likewise I know people who fish ALL THE TIME and never seem to hook up.

Then there are those "fishy" people that go out a couple times a year and seem to hook up constantly--or catch the most and or biggest fish of the group they're with.

Jim Christenson from the shop is one example of a "fishy" dude.

El Rey
01-03-2014, 11:57 AM
Giving away my age. I first tried fly fishing at Boy Scout camp (Wolfeboro) in 1953. Loved it. Caught a couple of 5"ers on a Royal Coachman. Been a fly fisher ever since.

Happy New Year,
Harlan

John Sv
01-03-2014, 12:01 PM
I came into fly fishing kind of backwards.
My Dad was really active in the 60-70s Sac fly fishing scene, but he moved back east to work in the gov't. I have been fishing for as long as I can remember, chucking hardware and dunking bait in the Chesapeake. I took an interest in his fly tying at age 8 or so, and began tying rudimentary things that were attempts at flies. I don't think I fly fished until age 12 or so. I did fish some "flies" prior to that, most of which were dressed up tails for Mepps spinners and Tony Acetta spoons. Been fly fishing ever since; now I'm 40.

Troutstalker55B
01-03-2014, 01:06 PM
42 years. Grew up fishing the West Branch and North Fork Feather Rivers and many creeks in the area. Dad was a strict teacher but he made it fun. Years really do not mean anything, it's all about how many days you get in through those years. I've been lucky to have a lifestyle that allows me to put in a hundred days or more a year - Though I watch other anglers more than I get to cast myself these days. ;)

FRSam
01-03-2014, 01:42 PM
I guess I was eight or nine years old when I got my first fly rod, many years ago. I look back now, 53 yrs later, and many, many fly rods later...smile...and wish I could go back to that first day.

Pete
FeatherRiverSam

Fly Guy Dave
01-03-2014, 01:46 PM
I dunked bait and used lures for a long time, but I remember camping out at a lake north of Truckee when I was in my late twenties and one evening there were trout rising all over the place and I couldn't get a hook-up if my life depended on it. A guy came along with a fly rod and caught five keepers in less than ten minutes so he could give his family fresh trout for dinner. That's what hooked me. I bought a crappy fly rod kit and dabbled for a few years, but never really learned to cast, learn my fly patterns, set the hook, etc. so I never became proficient. I had a colleague at work who taught me a few things and I recall fishing dries one summer day in the Truckee River and somehow I managed to catch a few small trout on the surface. I was having such a blast, I gave up my spinning rod and now I fly fish exclusively, I guess it's been 15 years by now.

One big part of fly fishing for me is the solitude, so I avoid crowds (like Crowley on opening day or the Powerhouse Riffle on Hat), the macho pissing contests (like on far too many steelhead waters), and I frequent often overlooked streams and rivers and backpack into high country lakes and streams for good angling opportunities and that precious solitude I enjoy so much. Idaho and Montana both provide great fishing and easy to find solitude, so I usually head back that way each summer as well.

I wish I was into fly fishing back when I went to Camp Wolfboro back in the late 1970's, but I recall catching a bunch of tiny fish on lures. Still, it was a great time. :)

Nor*Cal
01-03-2014, 01:51 PM
Fantastic answers to this post, I’m glad I posted it.
I fished with my dad as a kid (spin rods) for catfish and stripers. When I became a teenager I was suddenly too “cool “ to fish. When I went to College I was too busy to fish. I started fishing again at age 28. I looked out of my window at work and saw a guy pulling a 5 foot sturgeon out of the bed of his truck. That was enough for me to get back into fishing.
I always had a desire to fly fish but never actually thought I would learn or do it.
I met a guy through my blog and he said we should go fishing. I agreed and he also mentioned he was going to bring his fly rod out and he would teach me how to use it.
The first time I touched a fly rod (at the tender age of 30) I fished the middle fork of the Cosumnes River. I was perfectly content just with learning how to cast it but I also caught four small trout that day. Ever since then I was hooked!
This was last May so I am VERY eager to learn more about it and gain experience by getting out there and seeing what works.

Cheers,

fishdoc1
01-04-2014, 07:01 AM
For me I was 7 in 1947 and I had a collapsable fly rod, dacron line, and a metal ladybug fly.I would wade out on a sandbar in a Minneapolis City lake and cast for bluegills.To this day, I still love a day with a 3 wt fishing for those scrappy buggers. 67 years for me.

tcorfey
01-06-2014, 09:54 PM
For me it was summer of 69 took my older brothers 5wt out and caught blue gills and perch. Then graduated from there to building my own rod and started fishing trout, after that I left the lake to fish the small streams that were within bike riding distance. In those days anything over 10" would go home for dinner I would get my pants wet and stuff the trout in my pocket then ride home with the tail sticking out. Boy I miss those days...

ladalske
01-06-2014, 10:21 PM
I have been fly fishing for 25 years. The drive started when my uncle told stories about my grandfathers love for fly fishing in the truckee and sierras. I have a picture of my uncle at age 7 fishing next to my grandfather on the truckee river.

wineslob
01-07-2014, 12:34 PM
Around 1981 a buddy of mine showed me fly fishing on a...........................ditch. He must have caught a full limit out of one "pool" (just an exit from a tunnel). I was hooked. Went out and bought a Berkley "kit". Kinda like the Courtand ones you get today. He taught me how to cast, I've not stopped since.

Oh ya, he also brought me this guys shop, Bill I think was his name. The shop was near/next to Bob's Toy Land in the Town and Country Village shopping center. There he got into tying flies...........

Frank Alessio
01-07-2014, 03:26 PM
I started fly Fishing 60 years ago at the age of 8....The first time out was with my Grandfather, My Dad and My Uncle...I was fishing in Castella.. After I caught my second fish in about that many casts I turned around for some approval and all three of my instructors were gone....Some things you just never forget....

TonyMuljat
01-07-2014, 03:43 PM
I started as a youngster in Pleasanton, CA of all places. I had been bait fishing as a kid to the local lakes, Del Valle, Shadow Cliffs, etc. When I was in 8th grade, at Wells Middle School, we had a class called "creative fishing tackle". Yes, that is correct. I was very good a winding rods, and graphite was just coming into favor. I got a special dispensation and was allowed to take the class both semesters. The second semester my teacher arranged for me and another classmate to tour the Weir and Sons bamboo rod factory in Los Gatos. We bought bamboo blanks, which ended up being defective.... Nonetheless, my folks got me a fly outfit for Christmas and I would spend hours in our court learning to cast. I could cast a county mile. One of my earliest fly fishing memories was being at Shadow Cliffs. There was sort of a "back lake", almost a swamp, not the main lake. I was fishing an ant pattern and just casting it way out there. I had no idea I had about a 4" bluegill on the other end until I backcasted the poor sucker out of the lake and over my head, almost hitting my buddy in the face...

Mike McKenzie
01-07-2014, 09:16 PM
It was a metal telescoping rod and I never flang a fly with it but I caught a lot of trout usin' garden hackle! The next year I got a Shakespeare fiberglass "HDH".. (for you old farts!) Caught my first trout on it fishin' the Middle fork of the Stanislaus at Kennedy Meadows...Here's a picture....
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/stripermike/Myfirsttrout49C_zps1df3356b.jpg
I graduated to a Monkey Ward "genuine Tonkin Cane" 8 foot fly rod in 1949 after my Dad decided I wouldn't destroy a "real" rod..... I still have it to this day!

Giving away my age. I first tried fly fishing at Boy Scout camp (Wolfeboro) in 1953. Loved it. Caught a couple of 5"ers on a Royal Coachman. Been a fly fisher ever since.

Happy New Year,
Harlan

Harlan,
We spent a lot of time in the early 50's campin' outside the gate at Wolfeboro right next to the river. Caught a lot of hatchery trout at that old log layin' crossways in the river where they dumped the fish! As I got older I got to "go with the men" after real trout over on Highland Creek and fishin' "the Rock Slide" with no fear. I doubt I could or would do that today!:D

Mike

dpentoney
01-07-2014, 09:58 PM
My Dad started me fishing with a fly rod strip casting worms on Buckeye Creek in Bridgeport Meadows in 1961. I fished that way on Buckeye, the East Walker, and the Owens River in the early '60s. In 1965 he moved us from SoCal to Eureka, in large part due to the fishing. That summer I fished the same way for half-pounders on the Klamath River. That Fall my Dad saw the fly-fishermen on the lower Eel and wanted to fish that way. He was one of the founding members of the North Coast Fly Fishermen and in the late '60s they put on casting clinics where I was lucky enough to receive casting instruction from and come to know guys like Lloyd Silvius, Art Dedini, Nelson Rossig, and some other old time Eel River Fly-fishermen. Some of those guys started fly-fishing steelhead on the Eel River over a hundred years ago. I was lucky enough to get in on the North Coast fishing in the late '60s and early '70s before steelhead became the "fish of a thousand casts". Things really started happening for me once I got my driver's license in 1971. I pounded the Eel, Van Duzen, Mad, Klamath, and Smith Rivers until I left the area in 1981, usually putting in over 100 days a year on the water. One of my most prized possessions is a Fenwick FF858 I bought from Lloyd Silvius used for $20.00 in 1971. It was his personal rod until he decided the ones he wrapped were better. I don't know how many fish he took on the rod but I know that I caught and almost always released over a thousand steelhead and salmon on that rod.

Loomis 1
01-08-2014, 10:55 AM
Seven years ago I am washing my boat when a guy (Tony Buzolich) walks up and introduces himself as my new neighbor. He said " I here you are the guy to go fishing with". He then asks "Do you fly fish?". Being a gear guy I replied "Nope". I won't print what I was actually thinking about this Fly Guy standing in front of my house. A few days later I go to the local Bait and Tackle Shop to get some sturgeon bait, and here is Tony working there. He starts showing me pics of stripers he had gotten in the delta. My only question was "On a fly rod???????????". A few days later I sat down with Tony and asked if I wanted to buy "One rod" for stripers what would he suggest. Now I have been to La Paz a half dozen times, Florida, New Orleans, Ascension Bay in Cancun, San Diego several times, Brazil, and I spent a month this last October at Sugar Barge Marina, where I parked my R.V. next to Dan Blanton and absorbed his knowledge. I now own stock in GLoomis, Redington, TFO, Ross, Tiber and Abel, Dynaking, Puglisi, among others.

I have since converted several family and friends to the fly rod. My disclaimer is always "Warning, once you start it is more addicting than heroin" I only wish is that I had met Tony 30 years ago.