PDA

View Full Version : 5wt line wanted

Paul B.
01-02-2014, 06:43 PM
I just bought a 5wt. rod that is reportedly finicky about lines.
I have an older Rio Trout in 5wt but need to try some others. Interested in floating Wulff TT, Cortland, S/A. or?
If you have any old or not so new but still in production of these laying around that I can buy please send a PM. Cracked or worn OK I just need to judge before buying a new 50 to 100$$ line. Thanks

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-02-2014, 08:03 PM
If it is a stiffer, fast action 5 weight with a strong tip you might want to buy a line that is over weighted so it's a little heavier than standard 5 weights.

Rio Grand or SA/Mastery GPX is a half size heavier, like maybe a WF 5 1/2 F or WF 5.5 F

John_N
01-02-2014, 10:54 PM
Bill-

Am I correct that the spec for the Rio Grand has changed this year, to where it's now a full line size heavier? I hate that that's apparently so, since it was easily one of my favorite lines in its half weight heavier configuration. I personally never cared for the GPX as much vs. the Grand and don't know what I'll do when it's time to replace my old Grands. No disrespect of course and please correct me if I've misunderstood their specs this year.

Best regards-

John

Paul B.
01-03-2014, 06:38 AM
Welcome to the board John,
A post in the products and review section will get a good answer. They are heavier than the others but I don't know if they weigh more than last years.
http://www.rioproducts.com/fly-lines/freshwater/trout/rio-grand/

Bill, It's a soft 5wt glass.

stickboy
01-03-2014, 08:45 AM
Check pm. Thanks