PDA

View Full Version : pay it forward

Larry S
12-27-2013, 05:17 PM
Here's an idea that "Seth" , a member of spey pages posted there about a week ago.
------------------
-Hi everyone,
Thought I'd try to start a thread where people can pass along things that they no longer have need for or for people to ask for something they may be in need of.
Maybe one of the mods can sticky this if there is interest in keeping this going.

To start this off I have a lightly used, older Guideline, size XL wading jacket, that I won as a raffle prize at a clave a few years ago. I paid nothing for it and therefore don't feel right about trying to sell it. I'll send it along to the first person that speaks for it. Cover the shipping charges and it's yours. I'd like to keep it in the lower 48 so I don't have to mess with international paperwork. Jacket is gone, off to Shotgunner. ----
-----------------

Anyways, I thought this was a terrific idea and wondered if the Kiene Krowd wanted to try something similar. I know
that speypages have multiple sponsors and Kiene is a singleton; which means, if the Kiene folks object, then I retreat
with no argument. It's kinda like the swapping of Christmas presents. "I got something that I don't use"; except you're "paying it forward" without any guarantee that you're going to get something. At last count, the speypages thread was nearing 170 posts.

Anyone interested?
Best,
Larry S
Sun Diego 74 deg at 1614 hours.

Larry S
12-27-2013, 07:20 PM
Well, nothing ventured, nothing gained. I'll attempt a start up. A Simms headwaters chest pack; used once.
Three forward zippered pockets. $5 shipping and it's yours. What are you going to offer?
Maybe we need to transfer this to the classifieds.
Best,
Larry S

Mark Kranhold
12-27-2013, 07:45 PM
Hey Larry ,I saw that post as well. I need to see what's in the man cave, but for now I have a box of flies! These are from the first day through the first year of sore cheeks siting at the vice. Most of these bugs are soft hackles to steelhead streamers. Great set of bugs if your just starting out! So for that matter I would prefer to give them to a swingin newcomer. Many of these flies have got a taste of a steelhead :eek: Anyhow first response in the lower 48 and there yours! Shipping on me. Happy holidays!8153

JTrick
12-27-2013, 08:59 PM
Hey Larry, Sounds like a great idea.. Ill take the headwaters pack. I'll offer up a box of steelhead flies. Pics to come...

JTrick
12-27-2013, 09:42 PM
Ok all, in the spirit of this thread, I'm offering up a box of 30 steelhead flies. Some stonefly nymphs, leeches, and various skunk patterns. As with Mark's offering it would be great if these went to somebody starting out. First, I'll take it gets them.
Happy Holidays, Justin

Lance Gray
12-28-2013, 04:14 AM
Larry,

I think this is a great idea. So I would like to put on the board a wading staff a Flogstaff metal staff that just sits in my office. Lower 48 and or I will be at the ISE show. I can bring it then.

Larry I also sent you an email to answer your question.

Thanks Happy New Year Everyone

Collin
12-28-2013, 04:55 AM
Lance-

I could use that staff. Thanks for your generosity.

I'll look through my stuff and find something to contribute to this thread.

Happy holidays!

Larry,

I think this is a great idea. So I would like to put on the board a wading staff a Flogstaff metal staff that just sits in my office. Lower 48 and or I will be at the ISE show. I can bring it then.

Larry I also sent you an email to answer your question.

Thanks Happy New Year Everyone

Lance Gray
12-28-2013, 05:16 AM
Lance-

I could use that staff. Thanks for your generosity.

I'll look through my stuff and find something to contribute to this thread.

Happy holidays!

Collin it's yours. Email me for pick up.

Thanks

Larry S
12-28-2013, 06:07 AM
JTrick,
PM your name and address. Pack is yours.
Best,
Larry S

TonyMuljat
12-28-2013, 10:12 AM
Hey Larry ,I saw that post as well. I need to see what's in the man cave, but for now I have a box of flies! These are from the first day through the first year of sore cheeks siting at the vice. Most of these bugs are soft hackles to steelhead streamers. Great set of bugs if your just starting out! So for that matter I would prefer to give them to a swingin newcomer. Many of these flies have got a taste of a steelhead :eek: Anyhow first response in the lower 48 and there yours! Shipping on me. Happy holidays!8153

Mark, as you know I am (or will become), a beginning swinger! So, if the bugs are still available, I would gladly accept your gracious offer. Tony

Mark Kranhold
12-28-2013, 10:36 AM
You got it Tony! Pm me your address or phone # since your local and maybe we can meet up. I will be down in Sacramento tomorrow.

Collin
12-28-2013, 06:24 PM
For a first pass, here's what I have to contribute to this good-hearted thread: I've got a baker's dozen of new, never fished trout flies. They include (3) size 12 parachute Adams, (3) size 18 BWOs, (3) size 16 royal coachmen, and (4) size 18 pheasant tail nymphs. These are all shop-purchased (trust me, you wouldn't anything tied by me). First to respond on this thread gets them and I'll take care of postage to the lower 48.

Happy holidays!
Collin

Larry S
12-29-2013, 05:32 PM
Some more items that are looking for new homes. Just need shipping of $5; I don't do Paypal, but, we can work
something out.
1. Two C&F threader fly boxes - these are unused and empty except for the threaders.

3. Cabela's fly box - 5.5 X 3.75 X 1.25" again with flies - PMD's CDC Comparaduns and CDC Mayfly emergers
sizes 14, 16, 18, 20 and a few nymphs to keep them company.

Happy New Year to you all,
Larry S

ladalske
12-29-2013, 11:40 PM
Larry s,

My kids are staring out fly fishing and they could use the boxes!

Larry S
12-30-2013, 08:11 AM
ladalske,
In the interest of sharing, I'm asking that you request just one of the items per post. The threader and the
Cabela's boxes are more for an advanced fly fisher. Will send you the Perrine box (with a bonus) and
I'm sure your youngsters will work things out. Just PM me the name and address.
Best,
Larry S

JTrick
01-05-2014, 08:32 PM
Larry, Got the headwaters pack, Thank You!!

Box of Steelhead flies still up for grabs...

Nor*Cal
01-09-2014, 07:08 PM

Ok all, in the spirit of this thread, I'm offering up a box of 30 steelhead flies. Some stonefly nymphs, leeches, and various skunk patterns. As with Mark's offering it would be great if these went to somebody starting out. First, I'll take it gets them.
Happy Holidays, Justin

Larry, Got the headwaters pack, Thank You!!

Box of Steelhead flies still up for grabs...

Mark or J trick... I just started last may and I'm looking to build up the arsenal. I'll take one or the other; I don't want to be greedy! haha Let me know if still available!!

I have a crystal river Fly vest size XXL, Let me know if anybody wants it.

Cheers,

JTrick
01-09-2014, 07:53 PM
Nor*Cal,
Their yours.. :D I think Mark's went to Tony.
Pm sent. Justin

Mark Kranhold
01-09-2014, 09:57 PM
Tony got em'! Sorry ,but have fun with Justin's ... Those bugs will get eatin!

Larry S
01-10-2014, 06:37 PM
Mark,
Thanks for paying it forward!

I have a brand spanking new copy of the late Sheridan Anderson's "Curtis Creek Manefesto" that I would like to
put in the hands of a beginning flycaster; age 5 to 95. A $5 donation to your favorite local charity, if you're
first to request, sends it your way.
Best to all,
Larry S

Big Jim
01-10-2014, 08:20 PM
Mark or J trick... I just started last may and I'm looking to build up the arsenal. I'll take one or the other; I don't want to be greedy! haha Let me know if still available!!

I have a crystal river Fly vest size XXL, Let me know if anybody wants it.

Cheers,

I am double extra large and could sure use the vest. I have an Albright Bugati 3/4 reel in new condition that I could pass along to someone in need

Jim

Nor*Cal
01-12-2014, 05:39 PM
I am double extra large and could sure use the vest. I have an Albright Bugati 3/4 reel in new condition that I could pass along to someone in need

Jim

Sent a PM our way, Big Jim

Big Jim
01-12-2014, 06:42 PM
replied. I still have the 3/4 reel to pass forward.
Jim

Ed Wahl
01-12-2014, 08:45 PM
Very cool thread Larry, thanks for starting it. Ed

ladalske
01-15-2014, 08:52 PM
ladalske,
In the interest of sharing, I'm asking that you request just one of the items per post. The threader and the
Cabela's boxes are more for an advanced fly fisher. Will send you the Perrine box (with a bonus) and
I'm sure your youngsters will work things out. Just PM me the name and address.
Best,
Larry S

Larry S, the kids love the fly boxes and the surprise fly fishing book. Thanks again.

I have a unused fly line in the box I can offer up. It is a courtland DT 4F line. Anyone interested. I will pay US postage.

Nor*Cal
01-21-2014, 04:42 PM
Hey J Trick,

Just wanted to say I received the flies! Thanks so much!!

Larry S
01-21-2014, 06:09 PM
Thanks for keeping this thread alive. Some of the items you guys have exchanged are mind boggling!
I have Al Buhr's "Two-Handed Fly Casting - Spey Casting Techniques" that needs a new home.
Pray for rain/snow and
Best,
Larry S

Larry S
01-27-2014, 05:37 PM
This "pay it forward" idea can be quite rewarding to those who choose to participate. I recently sent some flies
and a copy of the "Curtis Creek Manifesto" to Luke Dalske. He has some youngsters interested in fly fishing.
Today's mail brought me a genuine handwritten thank you note from Clare, Jacki and Grant Dalske along with
some artwork that's destined for the "fridge." Dalske family; I salute you! I hope their interest in one of man's
best avocations continue.
Best to all,
Larry S

FlyJack51
01-27-2014, 07:15 PM
Big Jim PM sent

John Sv
03-01-2014, 03:09 PM
Hi two new 4,5,6 blue sky furled leaders and some tippet rings, plus almost new rolls (27 yard) of 6 and 8 lb maxima. Oh and a pretty fat roll of sunset amnesia

flygut
03-02-2014, 11:43 AM
If these items are available I could use the leaders ( I have been wanting to try Blue Sky leaders), tippet rings, maxima (I just checked my surf bag and I am mearly out) the Amnesia (I was about to get dome for shooting line). I sent a PM appreciate it and thanks! I gave away a number of items recently, I will see what else I have to Pay Forward.

I have a 7 WT WF Floating Orvis line in good shape if anyone need one please PM me. I'll look aroung and see what else I Pay Forward.

Hi two new 4,5,6 blue sky furled leaders and some tippet rings, plus almost new rolls (27 yard) of 6 and 8 lb maxima. Oh and a pretty fat roll of sunset amnesia

flygut
03-02-2014, 07:36 PM
I have a WF floating 4, 6, 7 and 8 WT in good condition. Let me know if anyone could use any of these.

John Sv
03-03-2014, 06:01 PM
Hi, items I posted are spoken for. Thanks!

John Sv
08-08-2014, 02:11 PM
Anyone want a barely-used shooting head and running line? Brand unknown but the running line is fly line material, florescent yellow, with a big loop for easy head switching. Head is a type six heavy beast that sinks to the bottom in a hurry. The rig casts well on an 8 wt or a fast 7 weight. PM me if'n ya wants it.

Larry S
08-08-2014, 04:05 PM
John,
Good on you for reviving this thread! Good fishing mojo should be coming your way.
Best,
Larry S

mike borba
08-08-2014, 10:09 PM
Well thanks to John SV its my turn to pay it forward. I would like to give away a couple dozen trout flies. I like to tie the following flies
Parachute Adams
Foam Humpies
Elk Hair Caddis
Bead head Flashback Pheasant Tail
So two dozen flies. You pick the size, within reason, and the color on the humpies and caddis. PM me and I will get started. Mike

John Sv
08-13-2014, 09:12 AM
Hi, the shooting head is spoken for...

Mark Kranhold
09-12-2014, 09:48 PM
Well my box of flies have landed in my hands again. A fellow board member returned them to me because he has had a busy schedule and did not want them to go to waste , a thoughtful gesture and thank you! These were some of my first ties but they will still hunt! So this box is up for grabs and contains soft hackle to streamers , everything you need to chase half pounders to adult steel. These would be perfect for a new comer in the swing game!

Mark Kranhold
09-12-2014, 09:51 PM
Oops, some pics

Mark Kranhold
09-13-2014, 08:21 AM
Flies are spoken for, going to Aggie9.

John Sv
10-04-2014, 07:57 AM
Okay, Larry S sent me a fly fishing murder mystery novel in a series books by Keith McCafferty, called Dead Man's Fancy. My wife and I both enjoyed it. Who is up for it now?

JTrick
12-19-2014, 08:33 PM
Up for grabs is a new copy of High Sierra Fly Fishing by Billy Van Loek

Merry Christmas All!!

Rossflyguy
12-19-2014, 10:14 PM
I'm interested!!! Never been and planning on doing it this coming summer.
Up for grabs is a new copy of High Sierra Fly Fishing by Billy Van Loek

Merry Christmas All!!

Lance Gray
03-10-2015, 12:17 PM
Doing some spring cleaning.

First item is a Solitude Vest Size XL. It's in great condition. I used it for guiding the last three years.

Second item is a small stream net that has a clip and rubberized net.

Third item is a long handle net that has no clip and a rubberized net.

Fourth item is a William Joseph chest pack that has never been used.

I will be at Kiene's next month and you can pick up the items from there or if we can arrange pick up at another location. Other than that they are free.

Thanks

Mark Kranhold
03-10-2015, 12:44 PM
I will take the long handle net. What is the length? PM sent ,thanks!

Lance Gray
03-10-2015, 03:23 PM
I will take the long handle net. What is the length? PM sent ,thanks!

36 inches long

Mark Kranhold
03-10-2015, 03:58 PM
Great, thanks again! I will be at the expo so I will see you there! Take care, Mark

tonyff
03-11-2015, 05:15 PM
Ill take the chest pack if still available....I sent a pm with details. Tony gariano

Lance Gray
03-11-2015, 09:00 PM
Ill take the chest pack if still available....I sent a pm with details. Tony gariano

It's all yours.

I will bring it tomorrow night.

John Sv
03-29-2015, 08:31 AM
Free to a good home:
I minored in entomology back in school at the University of Maryland. That's right, home of the fighting Terrapins. "Fear the Turtle!!"
I hung on to my Merritt and Cummings' "Introduction to Aquatic insects of North America" Text book for 21 years, and it is time to pass it on.
It is a great book for the fishing-oriented bug looker-atter who wants to get one step more geeky.
Lemme know if you want it.
If you are in the Truckee area it'll include free delivery. I could bring it to Fishmas Eve too.

Larry S
03-29-2015, 04:15 PM
John,
If no one else claims it, you might want to donate it to Mike O(wens?) He teaches an environmental science class
at an area high school and includes some fly fishing in the curriculum. I'll send him a PM to wake him up.
Best,
Larry S

Mike O
04-01-2015, 10:57 AM
I don't teach the class, but my colleague does. I will ask if he is interested.... He is interested. Let me know what the postage will be to Woodland, CA 95695... And thanks a lot!!

I got to watch the Terps play U Nev. Reno in the Humanitarian bowl a few years ago. Good game.

Larry S
04-01-2015, 12:23 PM
Mike,
John Sv is going to send to your school. Looks like a great resource. I sent John your address.
Best,
Larry S

Mike O
04-02-2015, 12:08 AM
Thanks to you both...specially the head's up, Larry!

John Sv
04-02-2015, 08:08 AM
I'll get it out the door hopefully tomorrow.
JS

nathanvn
06-15-2015, 01:27 AM
I have an Orvis fly box with Styrofoam inserts, if anyone is interested.

Spicytuna1
06-19-2015, 11:50 AM
Is the short handled net still up for grabs Lance?

JTrick
01-12-2016, 10:51 PM
Up for grabs copy of Oliver Edwards Flytyers Masterclass...