PDA

View Full Version : MFFR in winter?

RaffiB
12-23-2013, 03:20 PM
Hi all

Planning a post Christmas trip later this week. Checked the regs and the way I read them is that the Middle Fork Feather is open in winter, in Butte county, so was thinking of hitting the Milsap Bar area.

Anyone had experience fishing this in winter.

Rafdawg_34

Jeff F
12-23-2013, 04:40 PM
Raf,

The Milsap area gets fished hard (by MFF standards) in the summer. And you won't find the #'s of fish you will further up the canyon. However, there are some bigger fish there. I would strongly suggest driving up the road a bit (1/4 mile or so) once you cross over the bridge. There are two short trails that lead down to the river.....Cable Crossing Trail? and one other one I can't remember the name of. If you start veering away from the river, you've passed them. Of course they are unmarked, but noticeable if you drive real slow and look for them. The second one is better and gives you more water to fish. If you have Harris' book "Trout Fishing Plumas NF" it's a big help. Downstream from the bridge is much tougher wading due to large boulders. Upstream is more gravelly.

As for winter fishing......good luck. I've never fished it in the winter, but I'm sure it's like all other CA streams in winter. However, the weather looks warm(ish) and sunny, so you might find some feeding fish. Flows will be low and you'll be able to get upstream to just about any good holding spots.

Think slow water, small flies, and patience. Please post a report when you get back.

~Jeff

RaffiB
12-27-2013, 09:54 AM
Thanks for the info Jeff. Well, a friend and I made a trip up to the MFFR yesterday. Weather was nice. Strong wind right when we hit the water at 10, but died down by noon. Didn't see or hook a fish all day. Tried throwing the kitchen sink at them, but no love. Flows were low and the canyon was pretty accessible. Water was COLD. 39-42 range. Fished down by Milsap Bar bridge area in the late afternoon and spend the morning and mid day upstream about 2 miles. Had the river to ourselves (surprise), except for a weird guy who had made a tarp shanty down by cable crossing access. He had a couple of large dogs with him, who were running around unleashed. Ran into him and one of his dogs on our hike down to the river

Even with no action, it was great to get out and spend the day on the water in that beautiful canyon

Rafdawg_34